• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Leaked 2.1 makes Hero LAGGIER than before?

dvdqnoc

Android Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2009
So at first, I thought the new 2.1 leak would make the phone faster, and honestly I could not tell for a while if it really did. But today, I've noticed that it has made the phone SLOWER.... ESPECIALLY while listening to music. 1.5 handled music ok (not well, just ok) but 2.1 makes the phone come to a CRAWL when listening to music. Im talking about swiping between homescreens, opening apps, etc... all SLOW while listening to music. And dont get me wrong, even when im NOT listenig to music, it can be slow as well. Am i the only one experiencing this? Am I doing soemthing wrong?

So at first, I thought the new 2.1 leak would make the phone faster, and honestly I could not tell for a while if it really did. But today, I've noticed that it has made the phone SLOWER.... ESPECIALLY while listening to music. 1.5 handled music ok (not well, just ok) but 2.1 makes the phone come to a CRAWL when listening to music. Im talking about swiping between homescreens, opening apps, etc... all SLOW while listening to music. And dont get me wrong, even when im NOT listenig to music, it can be slow as well. Am i the only one experiencing this? Am I doing soemthing wrong?

i havent had that problem at all. the only problem i had was when you view all the homescreens at once, i have a problem zooming in and out of them. i mean the pich and pull on the homescreens is having a difficult time recognizing my fingers but sliding the home screens is fast. has anyone else noticed that?

Upvote 0

I'm with you. I know this phone very well and i can honestly sqy it is much laggier than before. Don't get me wrong I like the upgrades but for me they have come with a price. And I don't even listen to music on my phone. I'm experiencing lag everywhere...camera and typing especially. Turning the phone and having to wait the screen to catch up is bothersome too. It's all manageable for very frustrating. And believe me i am not upset that I downloaded the leak. I'm very careful about these things and i am certain this is the version that Sprint will ultimately release soon.

I'm still going to let this play out and see how the new release effects everything with my phone. If it doesn't get any better then I am going to take it back to Best buy and try to trade it in for EVO.

Upvote 0
The only problems I am experiencing are lag on the landscape keyboard, and a bit of instability in bluetooth. There is a noticeable, but not extreme, lag when switching to the keyboard, and then typing is on about a .5 second lag. Bluetooth has force quit on me and required a restart of my phone in order to get it running again. I think this is close to the final release, but I don't believe it is the final release. This may, in fact have been what was due to be released on May 7th, which is why it was delayed. Sprint was initially intending to release the updates for the Moment and Hero at the same time, but it seems that issues with lag and bluetooth held it back. Another thing that leads me to believe that this is not the final is that it is not registered for protected apps in the market. The final release leak for the Moment was actually not a leak, it was posted on Sprint's website a few hours before it was announced by Sprint. I'm hoping the final release takes care of the landscape lag and bluetooth instability.

Upvote 0
i havent had that problem at all. the only problem i had was when you view all the homescreens at once, i have a problem zooming in and out of them. i mean the pich and pull on the homescreens is having a difficult time recognizing my fingers but sliding the home screens is fast. has anyone else noticed that?

Try pinching slooooowly--I get it to work almost every time

Upvote 0
I'm glad you aren't experiencing those problems. Also, I agree that this update is a wonderful fix to the issues in 1.5. When I was on 1.5, I didn't experience many of the issues that others were reporting. In reference to the problems I reported in my last post, to be honest, I wouldn't call these problems. They aren't really even that annoying, but they are issues that exist and I thought it wise to add them here. It seems that they aren't widespread, so it may be related to the hardware revision. I don't know which one you are on, but personnally, I'm on hardware rev. 02. I work extensively with android phones of all makes, although I must say I favor HTC hardware, and my personal phone is actually the Sprint Hero. I've had it for quite a long time now, and I have to say that the update, niggling little issues and all, brings the Hero back into the running with the new HTC Android phones.

Upvote 0
That's one of the reasons why I held off on that ruu leak. fresh 2.0d is working fine for me. He has a 2.1.1 update out and I think I may hold off on that too. Until the official update is out I won't think about adding the current custom roms

Flipz released Fresh 2.1.1 off the new leaked RUU, yes but he made his own customizations of it. It runs flawlessly, imo. I strongly suggest you try it out.

Upvote 0
After downloading the RUU, I expected to have an updated lockscreen. It still has the swipe down. So I installed Lockbot to fix that.

Also, I have had slight issues with the browser and the zoom features... I catch it zooming in and out to 'fit the screen' automatically. Annoying.

Otherwise I am totally happy with the updated OS.

R.

Upvote 0
So upon further review I've noticed some other things as well. Kinda shocked this first one didn't dawn on me earlier. There is noticeable lag with the trackball lighting up when go to unlock the phone and a few times the trackball light didn't even come on (about a second of lag between the screen lighting up and the trackball; who really cares about the trackball light activating anyway as it's easily the most useless thing about the phone IMO)...as the for the bug with the camera and camera options remaining in landscape mode, I tested this further. I put the timestamp option on to see if the phone was recognizing the difference between horizontal and vertical pics and it does. So this is obviously just a problem with the accelerometer telling the phone to rotate the camera options. I'll continue to try and find more bugs. To also clarify, I haven't been using the stock sms, but handcent; I will test the stock next.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones