• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Leaked 5.7.893 Full update (.886 --> .893)

For those of you worrying about bricking your phone and not being under warranty this is not true. I spoke to the tech 2 manager from moto yesterday and its a green light on rooting and flashing roms on any moto products. He said rootibg and flashing devices does not and will not void the manu warranty aslong as it doesnt damage any hardware and of rooted or you have flashed it would be hard for them to help with any tech support issues. Call and see for tourself if this is in question.

Upvote 0
In the case of the Bionic it's a threesome ... what do Verizon and the insurance company you have a device poilicy with have to say about root and flash?

... Thom

For those of you worrying about bricking your phone and not being under warranty this is not true. I spoke to the tech 2 manager from moto yesterday and its a green light on rooting and flashing roms on any moto products. He said rootibg and flashing devices does not and will not void the manu warranty aslong as it doesnt damage any hardware and of rooted or you have flashed it would be hard for them to help with any tech support issues. Call and see for tourself if this is in question.

i would like to know if it was vzw tier 2 or motos. if its vzw i would guess the tech may not be informed. some are some are not. i like to do the chat due to a email of what was stated gets sent to you so you have back up.

just reread. never mind.

so you would have to send it to moto. not a bad option keep vzw out of it.

Upvote 0
Update worked - had to do the 4 step method (got error 7 message).

Now, I'm unrooted and I get back to root!!! I tried the one click root method three times. Nothing.

Now what?

UPDATE: GOT THIS FROM MYDROIDWOLD.COM AND IT WORKED - AFTER TRYING OTHER METHODS THAT DIDN'T:

Download the following file: it contains the exploit, su, Superuser

Download exploit ---> Exploit.zip

1) Unzip contents of folder to your Desktop

2) open a command terminal and navigate to the folder (cd Desktop/Exploit)

3) type the following commands
---> adb push zerg /data/local
---> adb push su /data/local
---> adb push Superuser.apk /data/local
---> adb shell
---> cd /data/local
---> chmod 777 zerg
---> ./zerg

4) Wait for the root to be gained

5) type the following commands
---> adb shell (only type this if you are no longer in shell@targa)
---> mount -o rw,remount /dev/null /system
---> cat /data/local/su > /system/bin/su
---> cat /data/local/Superuser.apk > /system/app/Superuser.apk
---> chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
---> chmod 4755 /system/app/Superuser.apk
---> reboot

link in case they don't work: How to get your phone back on the upgrade path...

Upvote 0
I am on 5.7.983 and NOT rooted. I wish to return to stock. I believe I do this:

OK, it's been leaked, and I've done it. The steps are pretty simple, and this applies for those who want to be rooted and those who do not.

For stock users on 5.5.886 with no partition modifications (Webtop, etc) at all:
  1. Use this post R3L3AS3DRoot and 43V3R root for the BIONIC v2.1 - xda-developers to get your system reverted to true OOB stock
    • This file will revert your BIONIC to stock. It can do it as plain stock or as rooted stock or as 43v3r rooted stock, your choice, all in one.
    • Extract the files in the archive to a folder and then run R3L3AS3DRoot.bat and follow the prompts carefully

1. Correct? What will be the effect on installed apps and data?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I am on 5.7.983 and NOT rooted. I wish to return to stock. I believe I do this:

Correct? What will be the effect on installed apps and data?

Thanks!

Returning to stock will wipe our apps/data. Do release that it's not completely barebone stock as your kernel/radio will be unchanged. There is a method to return the radio back to stock but the kernel will remain unchanged or vice versa. I keep forgetting which. Recommend you do a backup of all your apps/data even if there is no change as a precaution. Not all processes are 100%.

Upvote 0
Are we absolutely sure that returning to stock is a requirement to install the OTA that has not yet been released?

Perhaps the OTA will accommodate the "leaked alphas and leaked betas" that people installed?

Perhaps we should wait a little longer?

... Thom

As of right this second if you applied a leaked version (unless i am missing something) the update fails.. From what i can tell the "soak" version is what they are going to release to the masses..

Upvote 0
Are we absolutely sure that returning to stock is a requirement to install the OTA that has not yet been released?

Perhaps the OTA will accommodate the "leaked alphas and leaked betas" that people installed?

Perhaps we should wait a little longer?

... Thom

Right now he update does not accommodate anything like that. Furthermore, there is not a way to truly revert - you can get almost everything except the kernel - This weekend when the update hits me I'll pull it so I can play around and figure out how to get it working without the kernel and see if it helps.

Also, gyno's posts are being mirrored in the private Moto user forum for this soak release as well - lots of ppl loving the way the new BIONIC feels, including the camera app, physical use, GPS/NAV, etc.

As of right this second if you applied a leaked version (unless i am missing something) the update fails.. From what i can tell the "soak" version is what they are going to release to the masses..

^ this

Since anything beyond 5.5.893 is 'newer' than what they're testing, a reversion ot 5.5.886 is required. Again, though, we cannot revert kernel, so....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones