• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Let's figure out Google Voice Search (75% there)

furyion5

Lurker
Nov 7, 2009
The Moment is so much better than the Hero but one big feature I miss is Google Voice Search. It's ability to compose messages in HandCent, Google Maps and Browser was awesome.

For some reason the moment only comes with the magnifying glass and not the microphone on the widget etc. The moment does come with Nuance voice control which doesn't work as well...or at all.

After looking around a bit I found the app which came from a HTC Dream phone that has the search with the microphone. RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting
Read more here. http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/10410-no-voice-search-hero.html

After downloading to my moment and installing it, the microphone shows up but force closes when I try to use it. The regular search still works but voice still hasn't integrated into maps, or handcent.

Let's get this to work!

This is definitely a wtf.
I'd been using voice search on my Blackberry since February and it was hands-down my favorite feature. A real life-saver while driving and trying to get an address.

Imagine my disappointment when I transfered to a brand new Android powered device, only to learn it doesn't support any of the google applets! A real step backwards!

I read that for the apk you linked, a speech library is also required which requires rooted device for installation.

If I do succesfully "root" my Samsung Moment, does anyone know where I might find the referenced speach libraries?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones