• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lg ally is getting the 2.2 upgrade!!!!! Froyo~~~~!!!

just received the update and so far it is not that bad... The new Youtube widget has some problems and one of my apps isn't working anymore. So far it seems like the performance has gotten better and im not a 100% sure but it looks like i got 5mb more free space after the update.

Received mine last night too. No real issues - a couple of apps that had to be uninstalled and then redownloaded - no biggie. I also had more free space after the update. Too wierd.

Upvote 0
I bet that it isn't coming out at all, look at our pals with the motorola devour lol there stuck with android 1.6 which runs nothing... 2.2 might come out, but by the time it does i won't even care at that point. Currently the support files written so far on this fourm make the phone work well enough for me. Furthermore flash runs slow as hell on any android with a slow cpu so even if we get it it wont run well enough to play facebook games and the such. Idk my gf has a droid with 2.2 and i see no diffrence in speed. (its oc'ed @800mhz)vs mine(around 760mhz)

Upvote 0
I bet that it isn't coming out at all, look at our pals with the motorola devour lol there stuck with android 1.6 which runs nothing... 2.2 might come out, but by the time it does i won't even care at that point. Currently the support files written so far on this fourm make the phone work well enough for me. Furthermore flash runs slow as hell on any android with a slow cpu so even if we get it it wont run well enough to play facebook games and the such. Idk my gf has a droid with 2.2 and i see no diffrence in speed. (its oc'ed @800mhz)vs mine(around 760mhz)

Android 2.2 has more features than just flash. I'm personally looking forward to moving my apps to SD card to free up space, much better performance and auto-updating apps.

Upvote 0
Android 2.2 has more features than just flash. I'm personally looking forward to moving my apps to SD card to free up space, much better performance and auto-updating apps.
apps2sd makes the apps on the card run like crap cuz the sdcard is slow in comparison to internal memory and auto updating, i think, can easily be done by opening your market lol. the performance gains are minimal. believe me froyo is nothing special (except flash), but if it were released i would run the update. i have 2 phones an ally and a droid. my droid got the update and i barely see the difference. by the way i rooted my ally after the vzb update.

Reactions: GabeS
Upvote 0
I have to wonder if 2.2 will ever be released for the LG Ally. There has been months of hype and rumors but never an official word from Verizon or on the LG website. I'm not holding my breath.

Three days ago, I got the recent update with four apps I'll never use. The only thing I noticed now is I get a SD Card error several times a day so I I stopped by the Verizon store and all they did was do a hard reset for me. I asked about the 2.2 firmware upgrade and the tech told me "maybe before Santa hitches up his sleigh". Not much assurance there. I'm guessing Verizon is waiting for the LG Ally2 to roll out in time for Christmas, with the 2.2 platform making mine obsolete - with still a year still on contract and never going beyond the 2.1 platform.

Upvote 0
Hey all!

I am obviously new to this posting in this forum but I am a freak about researching and pretty tech savvy although I am no expert!

I have a rooted Ally that I did the computer way and when the new update got pushed to my phone nothing happened except that the phone rebooted. SW version is still 8...no VZB.

I have considered a factory reset to get the update but then saw all the issues users were having (between this forum and both the LG Forums and the LG Ally Forums) and now I just don't really know what would be best. You guys on this forum seem much happier to assist so I will ask you: What would you do?

I want my root access but from what I gather, if I install the update I will only be able to root using the Universal Androot and I don't know that I want another "app" to root my phone.

Last Friday in the LG Forums, LG Pro said he/she was working on a manual update for those running version 9 and "hopefully" those who are rooted. But this doesn't feel promising.

Another question that I can't seem to get answered is: If the OTA update didn't work for my rooted phone, will the 2.2 push work?

Last thing is that yesterday one of the forums updated the status on 2.2 for the ally saying they expect it in October but we all know how that goes :eek:)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones