• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help LG G2 will not turn on at all. Totally dead. Please help!!

Amanda Lynn

Lurker
Jan 27, 2015
Ok so my phone was fully charged this morning. 100%. I checked my messages/email on my phone and sent a few texts, then put my phone down on my bed. When I picked it up about 3 minutes later (I hadn't pressed any buttons), I noticed the LG logo flash on the screen and then it turned off. I thought it was weird, as it had never happened before, but just thought that maybe it was just rebooting itself for some reason. Then, when I tried to turn it back on, the LG logo flashed once and then... nothing. It's like the phone is completely dead. I've held the power button down for between 5 seconds to about a minute. I've tried holding the power button and volume up key; still nothing. I plugged it into the original charger, nothing. I used another charger in a different outlet, plus the original charger in a different outlet; no change. No vibration, to LEDs, screen stays black. I've tried using the USB to plug it into my laptop. Nothing. For a moment a few hours ago, the LG logo came on and the screen turned blue. I left it for a while, and then tried the power button again, but after that even the LG logo wouldn't come up anymore.

I'm now letting the phone just sit here for a bit, untouched. I have no idea why. I guess I'm sort of hoping that it will just work itself out (it worked once with an ipod classic, go figure!). Since this phone doesn't have a removable memory card (or a removable battery!) I was a bit concerned about doing a factory reset because I REALLY don't want to lose a year's worth of my photos (and please, before anyone says anything, NO I didn't back them up because I've never had a phone just DIE on me before
undecided.png
and rather stupidly it never occurred to me. Lesson learned!) My contacts are backed up, but not my photos, and right now, as much as I LOOOOVE this phone (it's probably the best phone I've ever used until this point), I know that I would ever want another phone without a removable memory card.

Extra info:
My phone is now about 1 year old, but it honestly looks, and I treat it, like it's brand new. I'm very gentle on my phone, don't drop it, it's never gotten wet etc, and it's in a really good case. It literally, just stopped working and I have no idea why or what to do.
Also, I finally just figured that I may as well try the full recovery and see if at least the LG logo would come up again, so I held down both the power and the volume down key and still nothing. Just dead, dead, dead.
Please help. It would be so appreciated. Because right now I'm without a phone at all.
undecided.png
Thank you in advance for your help.

**Edit: I put my phone, by an open window for a few minutes (because it's freezing outside) and when I plugged it in, the LG logo came up and the green LED lit up, then on the screen a HUGE battery icon appeared saying 100%. I then plugged it into my laptop and while it's still not being recognized, the green LED is still on. I'm afraid to disconnect it now though. Help.

Last edited:
I've had this happen with two different phones - once for each.

And then - never another problem.

I just write it off to that unexplainable glitch that can happen with electronics.

If it were me, I'd take it off the charger and see how it acts.

If fine, forget about it, you'll probably never see it again.

If it goes wonky again pretty quickly, it's a hardware problem - a factory data reset won't affect charging and safety circuitry such as you're describing.

If ok - get it on your pc and go for a backup using Helium from the Play Store because you never know.

I think that you've tried everything logical already.

Reactions: Amanda Lynn
Upvote 0
I've had this happen with two different phones - once for each.

And then - never another problem.

I just write it off to that unexplainable glitch that can happen with electronics.

If it were me, I'd take it off the charger and see how it acts.

If fine, forget about it, you'll probably never see it again.

If it goes wonky again pretty quickly, it's a hardware problem - a factory data reset won't affect charging and safety circuitry such as you're describing.

If ok - get it on your pc and go for a backup using Helium from the Play Store because you never know.

I think that you've tried everything logical already.

Thanks! I'm sort of reluctant to take it off the charger just yet, as I'm afraid it won't power back on. At least right now it's got power and is doing something which, for me right now, is a step in the right direction. I know I'll have to unplug it eventually, I was just wondering if (since I spent a day trying to do resets and such) maybe my device is stuck in some sort of wonky mode that I won't be able to get out of :/
At the moment, the LED is on. The LG logo came on the screen. However, my phone isn't starting, it's just got a large battery icon across the screen that says "100%" on it (wish I could post a photo), which is why I don't know if it's in some random mode that I don't recognize.

I'm hoping it will just fix itself, but part of me is wondering if I should just leave it plugged in to my laptop until the morning, and then just bring it in and see if they know what's wrong with it?

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I've designed electronics and control systems for a living, so coming from me, I admit in advance that this is going to sound weird - but trust me please that I'm not talking down to you or patronizing you when I say -

I believe in control theory but I believe in instinct even more.

What you just wrote sounds like it came right from your gut instincts.

Therefore - I think that your plan is better.

Just leave it as is, see it in the morning, see what they say.

I know that's not scientific but in my experience, I've been let down by Unknown Factors that only come out later in the autopsy.

But I have never been let down by my instincts.

Crazy, maybe, but there it is.

Upvote 0
I've designed electronics and control systems for a living, so coming from me, I admit in advance that this is going to sound weird - but trust me please that I'm not talking down to you or patronizing you when I say -

I believe in control theory but I believe in instinct even more.

What you just wrote sounds like it came right from your gut instincts.

Therefore - I think that your plan is better.

Just leave it as is, see it in the morning, see what they say.

I know that's not scientific but in my experience, I've been let down by Unknown Factors that only come out later in the autopsy.

But I have never been let down by my instincts.

Crazy, maybe, but there it is.
Haha no worries, it's not crazy at all and I totally believe in what you're saying!

Here's what just happened. I unplugged it and tried the power button and it turned on and booted up, everything loaded.... But just for a few seconds, and then it turned back off again :( Then I tried the power button one more time and the LG logo came up and started booting and then it turned itself off again. So know I'm really at a loss and don't know what I should do.

Upvote 0
And just to be sure - take a good look inside the charging port with a *good* light, magnifying glass if you have one.

Make sure nothing looks funny in there.
PS in your opinion (and I promise I won't hold you to this lol) do you think there's a chance of being able to have this problem fixed? Or that I'll at the very least be able to get my data off of the device?

Upvote 0
PS in your opinion (and I promise I won't hold you to this lol) do you think there's a chance of being able to have this problem fixed? Or that I'll at the very least be able to get my data off of the device?
Personally, I'd keep a good thought and not worry about it all night.

I know your data is important - I've been there.

Get Helium ready on your laptop (the Play Store has the link) and if it comes up in the morning, back it up right away.

If it's not going to come up, then worrying it and trying things won't help and might make it worse.

The fact that it changed after rapid cooling is highly suggestive of a physical problem.

A night's rest might give you the window of opportunity for that backup in the morning.

Don't experiment with more cooling tonight - sudden temperature drops can have the reverse effect - any moisture in the air in the phone could condense into moisture or ice crystals - and you want none of that on your motherboard, electricity and water don't play well together.

This could still all be something simple, caught early enough.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones