• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LG Leon MetroPCS Stock Firmware

Playaz

Jun 3, 2015
So I just acquired this device today.. I went ahead and got it completely set-up, and attempted to root via Kingo Root and alas my phone is bricked. After it restarted, it showed updating firmware, and to not remove the USB cable... However, the progress remained at 0% for a good amount of time... I am now stuck with it staying at the boot screen of MetroPCS with no ability to hard reset or any other recovery options...Furthermore, I went into the store and they said I was SOL... Any assistance is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for all of your time/effort!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Update: Thank you EVERYONE for all of your time, effort and dedication for seeking out a remedy. I was fortunate enough to be able to install directly via the LG Software, so I had a more "simplified" process compared to this miraculous link anyone who happens to land on this page MUST GO HERE TO FIX THEIR PHONE.

Ultimate thanks to dj rios for recommending me Super-SuMe but I went to give credit for the thread, and there's Debra again! Thanks for this flourishing community and I hope everyone's day is simply amazing! I know I'm thankful to have a phone after a month :)

Last edited:
Reactions: George Matthews
Kingo... I've used it on a multitude of my phones, but unfortunately let me ignorance get the best of me and didn't do my research. Been working on getting somewhere with this phone, but it doesn't seem plausible. Can't stay in download mode, transitions to Firmware Upgrade.... Hard Reset doesn't do anything and the LG User Support Tool is of no help... :(

Upvote 0
Reactions: Playaz
Upvote 0
Kingo... I've used it on a multitude of my phones, but unfortunately let me ignorance get the best of me and didn't do my research. Been working on getting somewhere with this phone, but it doesn't seem plausible. Can't stay in download mode, transitions to Firmware Upgrade.... Hard Reset doesn't do anything and the LG User Support Tool is of no help... :(

Have you figured anything out yet? I just did the same exact thing today. Stuck on metroPCS screen with same results.

Upvote 0
If @Bichofelix is taking the approach I think he is (dd command) then he will be giving himself a headache for a while. Send_Command didn't like the dd command when I was messing with it
I am. I restored boot with it but idk how it'll act with system.
I'm at work right now though and this phone doesn't have enough internal to cache the whole thing for uploading.
I guess we'll see since its our only unbrick method.

Reactions: MikeHoncho
Upvote 0
Could be, depending on the kind of exploit Kingo is. I don't know if it's a kernel exploit or not, haven't looked into it
I wiped my boot to see if fastboot was hidden behind it and it booted me into dl. (I think now it's a pin on the board like the gs3 was, I'd have to see the schematics.)

Hmm I think I'll PM him and we'll start there and I'll make the unbrick thread after testing.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
That's the exploit we need to fix your phone. Basically you'll go through the root process again via download mode, then at the end I'll have you issue dd commands with the .img on your external (internal isn't large enough) and hopefully it works.

I'm at work until 6 and am also in the process of moving but I assure you I will find some time.

Edit: here https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B49eSz3ZJIn0N2k3SFR3elI0aFE/edit?usp=docslist_api
This is boot.img
Put it at /sdcard
Go through the download mode root process all the way to the end. Youll see '#'
You may now input commands.
Use
Code:
dd if=/sdcard/boot of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones