• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Life after Blackberry

I'm interested to know what people liked so much better about BB's email system? Because I can't imagine how they'd make their email any more integrated than IMAP or Exchange already is on any device. And setting up 4 email accounts with my Eris is just as easy as it is to set them up in Outlook, it uses the same settings, I don't know how BB could have gotten around doing that bit of setup.

Upvote 0
I'm interested to know what people liked so much better about BB's email system? Because I can't imagine how they'd make their email any more integrated than IMAP or Exchange already is on any device. And setting up 4 email accounts with my Eris is just as easy as it is to set them up in Outlook, it uses the same settings, I don't know how BB could have gotten around doing that bit of setup.

Well, when I got my first Blackberry, a Pearl, "push" technology was new to me; that was very cool and seemed like the way email should be handled in a cellphone device.

Now that I have a better picture of things, devices such as the Eris seem cool too; I like the choice of imap or pop, plus the Eris and the whole Android system seem smoother and just more.. well more cool. :D

Upvote 0
I switched from a Pearl after about 3 years. I prefer the Eris overall, BUT Google really needs to work on their Outlook integration. I am a standalone Outlook user(no exchange) and while the calendar integration is acceptable, there is no way to reliably synch contacts. After making the file transfer from Outlook to Google contacts, I either have to enter new contacts twice - Outlook and Google or enter directly into Google then send a vcard from my phone to myself to enter into Outlook.

The trade-off is that synch's happen without connecting a USB. I am all about the cloud, but Google needs to recognize that most of the business world is pretty dedicated to Outlook. Tasks and follow-up actions are currently non-existent in Google apps, much less integrating these into Outlook.

I won't go back to BB, but I do miss how well BB handles Outlook integration.

Roger

Upvote 0
I have just recently come to the Android world from Blackberry and I'm bery happy about. There are a few little things I miss about my Berry (individual contact notifications per contact...etc), but other than the little things the Android is amore complete and better device. Blackberry's OS is dated and slow. My droid is much faster. Just getting used to how everything works. Love the fact that I don't need to reset the device all the time when I download or uninstall an app. That got annoying.

My only gripe really as of right now is the battery life. I had 4 different BB's and my last one the Storm2 had good battery life. My Eris is getting better but still not fully happy with the battery life, but from what I've read in here and some advice from a few of you is that it will get better.

Now I'm just excited to get 2.0 for my Eris. Still not sure if I wanna go back to a task killer or not. I'm trusting my friend OfTheDamned and just letting the device do it's own work like it's designed to. So far my battery life is better. If the phone starts to lag I may go back to one.

I am loving the notification bar btw. Very convienent. My Berries were all great devices but they have just become so dated.

I'm an Android man now.

Upvote 0
<SNIP> There are a few little things I miss about my Berry (individual contact notifications per contact...etc), <SNIP>

My only gripe really as of right now is the battery life. I had 4 different BB's and my last one the Storm2 had good battery life. My Eris is getting better but still not fully happy with the battery life, but from what I've read in here and some advice from a few of you is that it will get better.

I have been able to set individual ringtones using the standard address book (People). As for individual ringtones for text messages, I use Handcent for texts and it enables you to select tones for each person. Just like setting different profiles in your berry. Also, in case you're looking, there's Quick Profiles for making different profiles like in the berry.

I agree about the battery. So much so that I went to seidio.com and ordered the 1750 mah battery. It's made all the difference in the world for me.

Upvote 0
I have been able to set individual ringtones using the standard address book (People). As for individual ringtones for text messages, I use Handcent for texts and it enables you to select tones for each person. Just like setting different profiles in your berry. Also, in case you're looking, there's Quick Profiles for making different profiles like in the berry.

I agree about the battery. So much so that I went to seidio.com and ordered the 1750 mah battery. It's made all the difference in the world for me.

Really? I have Handcent SMS and I didn't see a setting for indivdual notifications per contact. How do you do it?

Upvote 0
Really? I have Handcent SMS and I didn't see a setting for indivdual notifications per contact. How do you do it?

Find a message from that contact and open it. Once opened, in the upper right hand corner is an icon with a "person" and a gear wheel thingy. Click on that, and choose "Notification Settings" from the window that pops up. Then go to "Select Ringtone" and any of the other options for that particular person you would like to change. I believe you can also change the bubble options for that particular person too.

Upvote 0
find a message from that contact and open it. Once opened, in the upper right hand corner is an icon with a "person" and a gear wheel thingy. Click on that, and choose "notification settings" from the window that pops up. Then go to "select ringtone" and any of the other options for that particular person you would like to change. I believe you can also change the bubble options for that particular person too.

i never paid attention to that icon in the upper right corner. You can set it up for individuals. Thank you for the info buddy. Much appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones