• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Linux music server

Hi, after recently seeing the sonos music system i've really wanted something similar but without the heavy price tag and android ready. My idea is to buy a really cheap second hand computer, usb wireless adapter and a 1tb external hard drive and create my own music server.

But i want the system to boot really fast and to be able to control what's playing with my phone. after doing some googling i've found an app called Gmote but I was wondering anyone out there is doing this already and if anyone knows of an app that's a bit slicker?

I would like to que songs, browse artists/albums and preferably have the app running in the background just like winamp does.

I'm pretty sure someone out there has a android controlled music server.

I'm pretty sure someone out there has a android controlled music server.

You would think so, but according to my limited testing and a lot of reading, an elegant solution is still over the horizon.

I've got a server box that serves music to all computers in the house and wanted to be able to listen to my stuff while working around the house without transferring the files to the phone ahead of time.

I'm not the only one to find gmote buggy with 2.2. A lot of stalled streams and when it comes to disappearing into the background, gmote is not your guy.

I recently started reading up on subsonic, but so far am not impressed with how it's set up.

Thanks,
Json

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones