location services: Google, Verizon or GPS?Support

Last Updated:

1. Heelfan71

Heelfan71 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I figure GPS will drain your battery so I don't use mine except when using navigation. What about Verizon and Google ones? Is one better than the other

Advertisement
  2. CharlieD

CharlieD Well-Known Member

If I have the VZW location selected, the weather and clock on the home page do not update my location. If I have google location selected (and VZW unselected), they do. This past weekend I traveled from Rochester, NY to Columbus, OH and back and had a good chance to check this out. Only when I had google location selected did it know where I was.

3. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

I keep Google checked all the time and jockey on/off GPS for 3rd party apps only when needed.

4. Casbah

Casbah Well-Known Member

Ditto for me. Google is always on and GPS is on-demand. I never have the VZW option checked.

5. RawlingsSc

RawlingsSc Well-Known Member Contributor

I kinda figured the VZW location service had to do with VZ Navigator, but I couldn't say for sure. And since I have no desire to use VZ Navigator, I may never know. Was it there pre-2.2? I can't remember.

6. gijoe411

gijoe411 Well-Known Member

No, i believe that whole menu is new, and it's hard to tell what each selection does, and what effect it has on battery life.