• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lock Screen Pin Security Flaw

Do you like donuts?

• Total voters

arpheztwig

Lurker
Nov 18, 2010
Why the F does the lock screen highlight the numbers I press? Brightly and with a slow fade, too. Brilliant design! I could see that once from 20 feet away and remember the pattern of key presses. At least 2 people (that I know of) have already been able to unlock my phone, making me change my pin far too often and I'm going to forget one sooner or later. One even commented "oh, new pin?" I just stared at them for a second. You looked? You memorized it? "Yeah, it's pretty obvious. Hard not to."

Just let me turn the highlight off, is that so freaking hard?

Patterns and pins are already too easy to recognize for the rotten children that are my nieces and nephews (I love them, they're great, etc., but they will steal anything not nailed down.) I have to unlock my phone 30 times a day, I can't be looking around like a lunatic every time.

Finger print scanner doesn't work for more than a day or two because I work with my hands so calluses, cuts, grease, paint, PL, whatever else happens to my hands makes it frustrating or useless.

No developers that can change it will read this, so this was a pretty useless rant, but I feel a little better. No more secure, but better.

Why the F does the lock screen highlight the numbers I press? Brightly and with a slow fade, too. Brilliant design! I could see that once from 20 feet away and remember the pattern of key presses. At least 2 people (that I know of) have already been able to unlock my phone, making me change my pin far too often and I'm going to forget one sooner or later. One even commented "oh, new pin?" I just stared at them for a second. You looked? You memorized it? "Yeah, it's pretty obvious. Hard not to."

Just let me turn the highlight off, is that so freaking hard?

Patterns and pins are already too easy to recognize for the rotten children that are my nieces and nephews (I love them, they're great, etc., but they will steal anything not nailed down.) I have to unlock my phone 30 times a day, I can't be looking around like a lunatic every time.

Finger print scanner doesn't work for more than a day or two because I work with my hands so calluses, cuts, grease, paint, PL, whatever else happens to my hands makes it frustrating or useless.

No developers that can change it will read this, so this was a pretty useless rant, but I feel a little better. No more secure, but better.

Well non of my phones do anything like that. So it could be something specific to the particular make of phone you've got there, and something the manufacturer has done. Maybe try facial or iris scan instead? If your whatever it is phone has those features.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
It's a motorola, I think it's done this with the last couple moto g series phones I've had (this one's the stylus version) Good to hear it's not android-wide, I'll look into getting this thing rooted and get another rom on it. Been meaning to do that, anyway. I've gotten used to their gestures like shake for light and twist for camera, but I'm guessing I can find other ROMs or 3rd party apps that can give those back to me. I had just gone on a half hour search for solutions and just found other people complaining about it for the last 2 years and needed to rant about it.

Anyone have suggestions for more customizable ROMs? Preferably one that keeps the moto gestures or similar. I was a diehard cyanogen mod fan way back when, but it's been years since I bothered rooting.

Also, whoever selected the incorrect answer to the poll owes us all an explanation. =]

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones