• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Long-term tethering

lordbrit

Lurker
Jul 30, 2012
Hi! New here. Would be really grateful if you guys could help with the following problem I've got.

I live in the middle of nowhere, in an area currently unserved by ADSL (and apparently the powers that be have no plans to upgrade us soon) however I do get excellent mobile internet access on the Three network (upwards of 7Mb/sec) through a 3G router called a Hubba.

The only thing stopping this becoming a permanent and brilliant solution to my internet woes is that there is no unlimited data plan offered in the UK compatible with a 3G router.

BUT Three do offer unlimited tethering on their One Plan. And I just happen to have a Galaxy SIII here that I was going to eBay. See where this is going?

Basically I was planning to order a One Plan SIM and set up the SIII as a wifi hotspot at the top of the house where the 3G signal is best, and then use my existing network infrastructure to repeat it throughout the house. The only problem is I have my worries about Android's ability to run tethering reliably and without interruption in the long term. This idea just won't be a go-er if I have to go up there and reset the phone/all the repeating equipment every day/every other day.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this? Do you think it might work, or just be a nightmare?

I'd be really grateful for any help you can give.

Thanks.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones