• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Longtime WIndows Mobile user switches to the Droid...

Hi -

Well, I made the leap today to the new Verizon Droid. It was a tough decision, because I've been a Windows Mobile guy for many years -- starting with the ancient Verizon Palm 700W and most recently with the Samsung Omnia.

The Omnia has been a good phone, especially after I became a member of "Flashers Anonymous" and continually upgraded to the latest and greatest custom ROMs and applications. But despite all the tweaking, I was never really happy with the low-sensitivity touchscreen, ragged scrolling, and overall laggy response of the user interface. I played at length today with the new Samsung Imagio, and while it's a big improvement over the Omnia, the cost is the same as the Droid. So I decided it was a great time for a change!

Of course, that means I now have a huge pile of my favorite WM applications that are suddenly useless. And despite being a very technical person, I'm starting from scratch with a new operating system that I know very little about. So I'm here to learn from those of you that have the experience I lack -- and hopefully, over time, I'll be able to give something back as well!

Rob

I am in the same boat as you, I have been a WM user for a long time and am now making the switch to the Hero. I will be getting mine the first week in December (contract time) I have been looking for some time and the Palm pre does not do much for me and the Palm Pro just is not what I thought it should be. I picked up a Hero and fell in love with it. I cannot wait to start playing with it. I cooked more roms for my Touch than I care to admit (wife hates all phones now) and I look forward to Android adn all the customization that can be done with it on day one (do not have to wait for someone to create the unlocker for the phone).
I look forward to reading everything I can about this wonderful OS.

Upvote 0
Hi -

Well, I made the leap today to the new Verizon Droid. It was a tough decision, because I've been a Windows Mobile guy for many years -- starting with the ancient Verizon Palm 700W and most recently with the Samsung Omnia.

The Omnia has been a good phone, especially after I became a member of "Flashers Anonymous" and continually upgraded to the latest and greatest custom ROMs and applications. But despite all the tweaking, I was never really happy with the low-sensitivity touchscreen, ragged scrolling, and overall laggy response of the user interface. I played at length today with the new Samsung Imagio, and while it's a big improvement over the Omnia, the cost is the same as the Droid. So I decided it was a great time for a change!

Of course, that means I now have a huge pile of my favorite WM applications that are suddenly useless. And despite being a very technical person, I'm starting from scratch with a new operating system that I know very little about. So I'm here to learn from those of you that have the experience I lack -- and hopefully, over time, I'll be able to give something back as well!

Rob

Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

Upvote 0
I am in the same boat as you, I have been a WM user for a long time and am now making the switch to the Hero. I will be getting mine the first week in December (contract time) I have been looking for some time and the Palm pre does not do much for me and the Palm Pro just is not what I thought it should be. I picked up a Hero and fell in love with it. I cannot wait to start playing with it. I cooked more roms for my Touch than I care to admit (wife hates all phones now) and I look forward to Android adn all the customization that can be done with it on day one (do not have to wait for someone to create the unlocker for the phone).
I look forward to reading everything I can about this wonderful OS.

Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones