• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Looking for a custom ROM to unlock my droid 2 global from VZW

I am not sure if I am going senile but, last time I have been around here, which is more than 6 months ago, there was a thread or subforum dedicated to droid 2 global device and there was instructions to put a custom ROM on it. Due to insufficient free time, 6 months ago, I glanced over and said I will revisit later.

Later is today but I am not able to find anything droid 2 global related here. Did these things vanish or they were not here at all to start with ?

In any case, my desire is to load a custom rom on my initially VZW serviced smartphone, so that it can unlock the GSM side of the device to be used on AT&T or T-Mobile networs here, as well as in Europe.

I know the device is old as Jesus and it is not worth working on it, but my need for a GSM phone is not that great. I just want to test few things and see if I am able to do them. Hence I don't want to spend and unnecessary $50-$60 on another throw-away cell phone, but use my old one.

Can somebody tell me if this is possible and if it is, where I should go ?

Thanks

A custom ROM won't help with GMS, to use on a gms network a unlock code is needed for the d2g, then the radio needs to be changed, to work on a USA gms network. Links to both in my list.

So, even if I am able to load a custom ROM, my GSM network will still be locked to Verizon ? I am under the impression that, I have one of the later version of these phones as I got it towards the end of 2010, not at the initial offering. So, the chances of me, having an impossible-2-unlock phone is very high. I really don't feel like paying $20 to a shady outfit for a code which is not going to work and I will have no way to dispute.

Is there any way to unlock the GSM side, other than paying for an unlock code. My term at Verizon didn't end with a good note. So, asking them for an unlock code, is not an option for me by the way.

Upvote 0
So, even if I am able to load a custom ROM, my GSM network will still be locked to Verizon ?
Sim card slot is either locked or unlocked, rom does not unlock it.
I am under the impression that, I have one of the later version of these phones as I got it towards the end of 2010, not at the initial offering. So, the chances of me, having an impossible-2-unlock phone is very high.
motorola used 3 different methods to encrypt, so there are 3 possible codes, even verizon doesn't know for sure which code will work. I believe 90% of D2G will unlock with original or 2nd method, less than 10% require the 3rd code which was available from mrcellphoneunlocker.com but some report that 3rd code is no longer available from there.
I really don't feel like paying $20 to a shady outfit for a code
the unlockers in my list are not $20
which is not going to work and I will have no way to dispute.
they will refund, but may require you to make a video
First you need a non verizon/vodafone sim card, when you insert the sim card you should get a sim card slot unlock screen.
If first code fails try once more, then send an email to unlocker that it did not work, most likely they will reply with 2nd code. If that fails enter it once more, then contact seller again. do not keep entering the unlock code or phone will permanently lock you out.
Is there any way to unlock the GSM side, other than paying for an unlock code. My term at Verizon didn't end with a good note. So, asking them for an unlock code, is not an option for me by the way.
only real hack is using a sigma usb dongle, phone must be connected to same computer, I don't know anyone that has one. the company that makes them does not ship to usa.

edit; I would start with this $5 ebay seller and use paypay option
and don't buy a code before you have a sim card to get to unlock screen
sd_shadow's (themib) [Collection] of Links for Droid 2 Global: Sim Unlock/ Band Unlocking

Upvote 0
edit; I would start with this $5 ebay seller and use paypay option
and don't buy a code before you have a sim card to get to unlock screen
sd_shadow's (themib) [Collection] of Links for Droid 2 Global: Sim Unlock/ Band Unlocking

That ebay page starts like this
Motorola Unlock Code XT925,XT910,XT626,XT610,Droid Global 2 A956 Ask 4 Others
Verizon Locked devices are not supported 'NO REFUND'

Is there any way to know if my D2G is Verizon Locked or not ? Obviously, if it is locked and I realize this after I buy the code from them, getting a refund will be damn near impossible with what I quoted from their sale page, above.

Also, I have a SIM from T-Mobile that I am not using right now. Will it work as a non-Verizon SIM, or since it is from the US, it will be invalid no matter what as Verizon is blocking all US based GSM carriers, i.e., AT&T and T-Mobile ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones