Looking for a solution to a microphone problemSupport

1. PJCC

PJCC New Member

Hi everyone, I just had an unfortunate accident with my phone where water seeped inside the phone. Phone was working perfectly fine before but since the accident the microphone is not picking up sound too well. People at the other end of the call are having trouble hearing me.

I opened up the phone, took out the mainboard to examine the microphone part and didn't see anything obviously wrong. Put a hair dryer on it in case water actually got inside the microphone part. Checked the vent leading to the microphone for blockage but there was no obstruction.

Using a bluetooth earpiece works but I really don't want to be wearing it all the time. I'm not on the phone much.

So my question is, will replacing the mainboard fix my microphone issue? There are a lot of S3's for sale on ebay with cracked screen but good ESN. Not a cheap solution though. I'm assuming I'll need to swap ESN.

Or would it be cheaper to have it serviced by Verizon/Samsung?

Thanks.

Advertisement
    :
  2. phil75231

phil75231 Well-Known Member

Dropped your baby into the crapper, huh? Well, it happens.

Try placing the phone into a Zip-Loc bag full of dry rice for a couple of days. It will draw the moisture out of the device. My wife and I have done this on several electronic devices over the years (damn kids) and it worked perfectly.
  3. golfinglenn

golfinglenn Well-Known Member

Also, look at youtube videos and you will see how easy it is to take this phone apart and replace all the parts. I had to replace the headphone jack and rear speaker. Couldn't have been easier and parts were from California and cheap.
  4. PJCC

PJCC New Member

Will try the rice trick.

When I took the phone apart, I had a real close look at the mainboard and where the microphone part is. It looked like it was securely attached. I'll check later tonight if it's removable.

Thank you both for the suggestions.
  5. PJCC

PJCC New Member

Quick update on my microphone. People can hear me now again. Didn't need anything more than just time for, I guess, the microphone to dry out.

Thank heaven.
  6. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Nice one. Thought you'd shorted something :)