• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for help on project involving flashing an android

Ethan Manzi

Lurker
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, thank you for taking the time to read this post. I've been wanting to work on a project for quite a while now, in various forms. Essentially, I want to create a mini-arcade system. Yes, I know theses already exist, and I'd save so much headache by using an existing one. However, I love computer science and programming, and I really want to do this myself, for fun, experience, and overall, the satisfaction of knowing you built a working product. I've looked at many platforms for this, and the one I still want to do ( it has been delayed a lot, because I needed to find proper schematics, find microchips that'll work, and make sure everything will fit together properly, minding the costs ) is to retrofit a Gameboy Advanced SP with some modern hardware, so I can play custom games, use a emulator to play Gameboy games, along with other similar games.

However, I figured, let's step back for a second. Since that is going to involving working with physical hardware, something I don't do often, and a bunch of schematics ( since I wish to keep the display ), I figured let's use something cheap, common, and I already have. A spare Android phone. I have this tiny old Samsung phone, which serves me just about zero use, since I can't update it to the latest Android, it doesn't do me much good for app development, it's somewhat low specs, so I can't use it for too much gaming, and it's incompatible with my network, so I can't use it as a backup phone.

So, I've been trying to research various components, questions, etc. I have for this project. No luck. That's why I decided to post my request for help here. So, main request, is I need somebody(s) to help me find out how to do a few things with this old phone, which is a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime [SM-G360V]. Firstly, the easiest to find, I need to flash it. With what? This leads into my second and more complex request. I don't want to use Android. I am going down to as low as I can, developing a full OS ( in part, because as I said, I wish to port this to other platforms, creating an OS for Raspberry PI, normal x86_64 computers, and the custom build Gameboy ). Where can I find resources on this? I should be able to find info on developing a cross-compiler, but what I haven't really been able to find, is how to interact with the devices components. I'm assuming that I need to know the specific interrupts to call to access them, but I can't find the information on that. The main things I can think of needing, are the display, bluetooth, wifi, the power and volume control, the internal storage ( of course), and the buttons. However, if possible, being able to use NFC, cameras, etc.

I know that I seem really noob-ish in this post, and am asking a lot. This is a project I've been trying to work on for a long time now, but I can't seem to get the details I need to get started. I know that developing a full OS is anything but easy, but I've wanted it to learn to do things like make OSes since I began programming ( that was about age ... eight, I think, with Visual Basic ). I've been learning assembly, C, and how processors work in general.

Any resources you can provide will be very very appreciated. Until I can get this done, I may have to settle for somewhat poor performance on Android, and having to write everything within an application. Ugh.

Thanks in advanced. If you need any clarifications, since I know I kinda rambled ( sorry, by brain is terrible at that ).

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones