• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Windows 11

AugieTN

Extreme Android User
Dec 9, 2022
Illinois Home & Tennessee RV Home
It's been at least 15 years since I used Windows. What I've been doing is going to NewEgg and buying a refurbished laptop with no OS or needing Window licensing for a few hundred dollars. Then loading Linux on it.

My last laptop has lasted about 3 years, but the keyboard started going bad. I was going to replace it with a Pixel tablet, but found a new discounted Asus laptop at the same price with Windows 11 so I bought it.

I'm really starting to hate Windows 11. It wants me to buy, buy, buy. Buy more drive space, buy Microsoft games, Your McAfee protection expires in 30 days, buy an extension now. This never happens with Linux. I tried using the Edge browser. It's difficult to change which search engine to use, it's basically hidden and you have to watch a YouTube video to see how to change it.

I'm going to see how long I can last using Windows before I dual boot Linux or just wipe Windows out.

After using Linux for so long, Windows sucks (n)

I installed windows 11 using Rufus, which allows you to install it without the Microsoft bloat crap, see here:
Runs like a charm and no MS bullshit

Reactions: olbriar and AugieTN
Upvote 0
I'm using a combo of Linux and Windows 7. Because every Windows since annoys me somehow, be it their obsession with flat UI design, or 'life as a service' or promoting their latest AI experiment.

I really wish Linux didn't double down on the whole flat UI bandwagon. It's getting increasingly harder to find a way to skeuomorph it and have the apps match. Closest is Q4OS but even it has issues with specific sites (requiring me to use Firefox Quantum which I despise as it's uncustomizable, or Chromium which has its own issues)

Windows 7 is unsupported but you can still find modern software that runs on it (MyPal, Panda AV, Pale Moon to name three), but unsupported Linux remains a stuck in time dead animal, with ZERO support once the repos shut down. Sure, I could install Feisty Fawn from 2009, but good luck browsing the web. Same year Windows 7 came out, and I can still use YouTube and modern browsers on it, but nope for Ubuntu Feisty Fawn. It's not alone, Mandriva 2010 equally useless. You'd think the community wouldn't abandon old Linux as easily, given it's FOSS as well as less attacked than an unsupported Windows OS. I expected Linux to be far more future proof than Windows. Boy was I wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So I clicked on the news icon. lower lefthand corner on the Windows 11 Taskbar. I clicked on a news link and the browser freezes up with this message. On my phone I Googles the phone number 888-262-7152 and came up with nothing, so I figured it must not be Microsoft Support. It took me a while get the browser to close. Rebooted and ran a McAfee scan and came up with nothing. Any suggestions?

PXL_20240304_135638585.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones