• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I just found my perfect Linux distro, Q4OS + Trinity

nickdalzell

Extreme Android User
Jun 17, 2011
Owensboro, KY
For a long time I've either lived with Windows 7 or badly attempted themes on Linux, neither of which felt 'right' especially today. Either I lived with unsupported and constantly breaking software requiring involved methods to keep it going or I lived with 'modern' garbage with a skin on top that never gave me that skeuomorphic itch.

But I found this Linux distro called Q4OS that while it's a pain to install (took HOURS to download its components over the internet, as it's not all there on the ISO image) it has this DE called Trinity that is a early 2000s time capsule, apps and all. From Amarok 1.4, to Konquerer, to Ark archiver, to K3B CD burning tool. HOWEVER, it's still maintained. You get the skeuomorphic touch but modern support for the web, YouTube, the works. I don't know where this distro has been hiding for the last ten years but I'm glad I found it.

If anyone is still into skeuomorphism or misses old KDE 3, this is a good one to try. All the best of the old but with the support of the new.

I'd take a screenshot but all the damned thing captures is the current open app, not the entire desktop. Prtsc isn't doing anything (bad keyboard on laptop?)

Reactions: Hadron and mikedt

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones