• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lost connectivity at home, need advice

algershick

May 16, 2010
I have been a Sprint customer for years, lived at my current address for 6 months, and upgraded to an EVO on launch day. I haven't had any problems with my Sprint service at my address since I moved, with older handsets or with my EVO until June 16th.

When I arrived home from work, I had absolutely no connection. The antenna shows 2-5 bars depending on where you are in the house, but no 3g or 4g beside it. I can't make or receive calls, send or receive texts, or use data on the phone at all. This is the 3rd day.

I've been to Sprint 2 times, each time they've fiddled with settings, tried to update the PRL (all of which I did on my own as well as a hard reset), and most recently they ran a 2 hour diagnostic on the phone. According to them the phone passed without a hitch.

They are blaming the problem on cell towers near my address. They opened a ticket due to the problem, and told me there are 8 other tickets in the same area dating back to 2005 for crappy signal. My wife's phone, which is a Samsung Moment, has intermittent connection issues. Maybe the antennas are better than the EVO's, her issues come and go. Mine have been constant for 3 days now.

What can I do? My phone is a requirement for work. My family goes out of town regularly, and in order to contact them while they're gone I would have to drive at least a mile away from my home. If there is an emergency, they can't get ahold of me. I can't even dial *2 from my phone. If they are unable to fix my problem, is it unreasonable to have my lines disconnected without paying a termination fee? I DO want to keep my service. I love my phones and the plans that Sprint provides. But it's unacceptable if they suddenly can't provide me with service at my residence.

If you have broadband at home, talk to Sprint about an Airave box. In the simplest terms, it's a micro cell site that works through your cable or DSL connection. It will handle voice calls, but not EVDO.

They usually charge a few bucks a month for the service, but if they have documented issues in your area, I'd push to have them waive or reduce that monthly fee. I've heard of that being done in some cases.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones