• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lost contacts after "merge with google"

Northern

Oct 22, 2011
Hey.
So, I was playing around with my options and I hit the "merge with google" option in the contacts and now for some reason it's only displaying 2 of my contacts.
I tried to import contacts from the sim, it actually showed my list of contacts, but after the import, it was still only showing the two contacts.

What's up with that?

Thanks.

Ps: I'm using a Galaxy S2 phone, with the default application for contacts.

I'm not sure I have the answer to your question, but the best practice is to create / save / maintain contacts ONLY as your Gmail / Google contacts.

That way if your phone is lost / stolen / bricked, your contacts are saved to your gmail account online.

I NEVER save local contacts to my phone or SIM card.

So having said that I'm not sure if your contacts are local contacts on your phone that you merged with Google. If so I suggest you make sure all local contacts are created in Google / Gmail, and then delete the local contacts.

Upvote 0
i merged my phone contacts with my google account, it all worked ok, but now if i add a new local phone contact into my phone, how will that get synced with my gmail? do i have to manually sync? or every now and again do a "merge with google"? if i do another "merge with google" will it duplicate the contacts already merged? is there a way to enter a new phone contact directly as a google contact on my phone? my phone is a galaxy s2. thank you!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones