• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Low Latency H.264 Decoder

Tim Simerly

Lurker
Sep 22, 2022
Dear Forum Folks:

I am building an H.264 media player that can decode elementary streams. I have it working ok, but the decoder always buffers up quite a few frames before displaying the first image. This is an IB (no P frames) only elementary stream I am decoding. I have noticed that if there are I frames every 5 frames, the Android player will start to display on the 7th frame. If there are 10 frames between I frames, it will display on the 12th frame and if there is 24 frames between I frames, it will display on the 18th frame. Is there any way around this?

I have read a lot of stuff using Google and there are suggestions, but no real answer. Just seems to be a hanging issue. However the drone guys figured out how to get around this since their player has very low latency so there must be a way to get the Android player to not buffer up so many frames and display on the 1st available I frame. Can you advise how to do this?

Thanks,
Tim

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones