• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Low on space/insuficent memory

tomgtfc

Lurker
Oct 29, 2012
I need some help on my phone and i really do not know much about phones. I've got a HTC Desire which is un modified. It used to work fine with loads of apps running, then i statrted to get 'Low on space' alerts, i've tried the obvious things by searching through other threads and i've got rid of all my apps apart from a few basics ones needed. I have a 4GB SD card which has 2.4 GB space remaining but i can't move anything to the SD card and can't see anything on the SD card. The internal memory has 2.12 MB memory left which is very little.

does anybody have any ideas on what could be happening?!

Cheers

Hi Tom, and welcome to AF :)

Ok, first thing: you say you can't move any apps to sd. Not all apps can be moved, so that might not be a problem, you may just not have any movable ones. System apps (pre-installed) cannot be moved, but also live in a different place from user ones so aren't an issue (though updates to these do use space). But to be sure, you are running android 2.2 or 2.3? 2.1 could not move apps to sd, but nobody should still be running that.

If you have very few apps but very little space, my guess is that app data is using your space up. Use the manage applications menu and look at them sorted by size. What are the biggest, how big are they, and how much of that is data (click on the app in the list to see details). Look at all apps, not just downloaded ones, as app data always lives in your internal memory, for system apps as well.

You may find that uninstalling updates for some system apps helps. You will then get the most recent update again, but this can clean out some debris. Maps in particular is worth a try, as that is big and frequently updated.

Upvote 0
thanks for the replies guys, annoyingly though i have already tried deleting apps, clearing there data etc and still there is no change. I literally have the few basic apps left what i need for my phone to run and my phone still says 'low on space' and other similar alerts. I cannot recieve or send messages because of this issue and its very annoying a you can guess! any other ideas?
Cheers,
Tom

Upvote 0
Look at your apps (all, not just downloaded) ordered by size (press menu when viewing the list in the manage apps menu). What are the big ones and how big? There must be something using the space, and app data or clutter from old updates are most likely - this will let us check the first of those.

If we can't find the the cause the radical option is to make sure you have everything important backed up then do a factory reset.

Upvote 0
thanks for the replies guys, annoyingly though i have already tried deleting apps, clearing there data etc and still there is no change. I literally have the few basic apps left what i need for my phone to run and my phone still says 'low on space' and other similar alerts. I cannot recieve or send messages because of this issue and its very annoying a you can guess! any other ideas?
Cheers,
Tom
But you haven't tried my suggestion above?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones