• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LTE speed changes with iPhone 5 release

I was just about to post this. The iPhone has totally screwed AT&Ts LTE! It would usually take a few seconds to download an app under 5MB. It literally took me 48 seconds to download a 3.4MB app earlier tonight. I uninstalled it, got on my wifi and it downloaded in a second. Not only that but my Speedtest results show it too. I would average between 5-7Mbps down and around 2-3 up. Been running different tests most the day and I am lucky to hit 3Mbps down and 1 up. Most are around 2 down and under 1 up. F**k you iPhone!

Upvote 0
No big surprise. To iPhone groupies, LTE is like magic and they have no concept of how slow it's running now that they're finally able to break the 3G barrier. Besides that, the iPhone isn't made to do much on-board stuff compared to Android phones so they've always been dependent on data connections to make all their bells and whistles work. So, until their bills come in for excessive data use and AT&T can beef up their LTE network, this will probably be the norm for a while. :hmpf:

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
I was curious about this. I'm running a Galaxy Nexus (clean Google phone from the Play store and Jelly Bean) on T-Mobile right now, but the phone isn't LTE, so I'm stuck on the HSPA+ network... which kind of sucks. Looking at speed tests and heat maps from PC World, etc. it seems that AT&T 's 4G and Verizon's 4G were pretty close in my area (Dallas/Fort Worth).

Has the mass release of the i5 jammed the networks up? I'm going to switch to one of the two and the Note 2 when it releases, and barring any new studies being published, am just curious what the networks are like POST-i5 release.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones