• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LTEVO ROOTING FOR DUMMIES {The Complete Guide}

Sorry - I hope I'm not hijacking this thread....

I'm not a complete noob - I previously rooted a Samsung Replenish & flashed 2 ROMs on it. This HTC is a lot more trouble (as you already know.)
I have tried a couple of "one-click" root programs, but none worked. I decided to carefully try to root manually, but cannot get the bootloader to show S-Off.

Evo 4G LTE

Boot loader shows:
***LOCKED***
JEWEL PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.09.0000
RADIO-1.13.11.0830
OpenDSP-v31.1.0.45.0815
eMMC-boot
Oct 18 2012, 15:46:20
(Then all the Hboot options & instructions below that)

Here's what I've done so far:

Installed windows drivers (XP sp3) and SDK mini-tool kit
Turned off Fastboot in power settings
Rebooted into Bootloader
Selected Fastboot & pugged in USB cable
Acquired token & pasted on HTC Dev site
Received unlock bin file from HTC Dev site
Ran fastboot with the bin file
Getting error that it failed.

Any suggestions about getting S-off so that I can finish rooting? The main reason I want to root is to remove the bloatware that Sprint has on the phone. The second reason is that I'd like to be able to push more apps to my SD card (32 Gb, Class 10). If this can be obtained without S-Off, please point me in that direction.

Upvote 0
Yes - I put it in the c:\SDK-tools folder with the other files downloaded from HTC. Typed (not copy-pasted) the fastboot command but it keeps saying there's an error.

Just wondering, but does the token and unlock code change each time you access the bootloader or can I keep trying the same unlock code multiple times (in other words, does it change like a Captcha does each time you open it up)?

So, am I correct in assuming that S-off must be obtained before rooting can be achieved, even with the stock ROM?

Upvote 0
Dang, it's always something.

Let me think...

Ok - no Aroma installer? It just went right to installing? In such a case -

TWRP, Wipe - boot, system, data, cache, Dalvik - install old Sense rom.

ok so heres a update: i wasn't able to instal a stock rom. i was able to flash a different one. im currently using dirty unicorns, but as with beanstock im experiencing some issuses. at least 3-4 times a day i lose my data connection, ive leaned that by manually turning data off and on, i can get it to reconnect without having to reboot the phone.
another thing that it does is when i click to type something the keyboard doesn't pop up and also the "back" key stops responding, the only fix for this is a re-boot,

and the device sometimes strugles to reboot i have to play with the power/vol-down buttons every now and then.. is it safe to say i have a hardware issue?

Upvote 0
Yes - I put it in the c:\SDK-tools folder with the other files downloaded from HTC. Typed (not copy-pasted) the fastboot command but it keeps saying there's an error.

Just wondering, but does the token and unlock code change each time you access the bootloader or can I keep trying the same unlock code multiple times (in other words, does it change like a Captcha does each time you open it up)?

So, am I correct in assuming that S-off must be obtained before rooting can be achieved, even with the stock ROM?

The bin persists for your device, it's not like a captcha.

Once you've unlocked, you install TWRP (custom recovery), nandroid backup your stock and then either flash SuperSU to root what you have or install a rooted rom.

With s-off you're completely free and don't have to deal with separately flashing boot.img files during rom installs, etc etc, it's the way to go.

How about a screenshot of your command window to help us debug? Can do?

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
OK, but I'll have to charge the phone first. It's down to about 25%. Also, I am now at home and was using my pc at work. I can try it again here, but I've got Vista on my laptop - will I need to download drivers for the HTC or does Vista have them already?

You might try to install HTC Sync or check back for drivers on the HTC site.

Use only HTC drivers, not universal ones.

Good idea to cop a charge first.

I'll be in and out of this thread for quite a while tonight, so if you get working drivers (simple test - adb reboot) and want to continue, I'll have you covered.

Upvote 0
ok so heres a update: i wasn't able to instal a stock rom. i was able to flash a different one. im currently using dirty unicorns, but as with beanstock im experiencing some issuses. at least 3-4 times a day i lose my data connection, ive leaned that by manually turning data off and on, i can get it to reconnect without having to reboot the phone.
another thing that it does is when i click to type something the keyboard doesn't pop up and also the "back" key stops responding, the only fix for this is a re-boot,

and the device sometimes strugles to reboot i have to play with the power/vol-down buttons every now and then.. is it safe to say i have a hardware issue?

Hmmmm...

Have you tried the usual wipe of cache + Dalvik from TWRP?

Did you do the RUU update that changed the partition sizes?

It's possible that you have a bad flash, maybe, even though you have this on two different roms.

Is your TWRP up to date?

PS - I'm mostly using our app to post tonight, so I have to refresh to see comments.

If it looks like I've ignored either of you, please post "hey look up" or something.

Because - sometimes the app is wonky.

Will get to my browser as soon as I can.

Upvote 0
How about a screenshot of your command window to help us debug? Can do?

Here's the screenshot of my cmd window. Also included my sdk-tools directory in the shot for you.

(I have a softball game tonight so I probably won't be checking back until morning.)

Attachments

• Screenshot Fastload error.jpg
    Screenshot Fastload error.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 279
  • Screenshot Fastload error 2.jpg
    Screenshot Fastload error 2.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 285
  • Screenshot Fastload error 3.jpg
    Screenshot Fastload error 3.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 289
Upvote 0
That looks right.

And it says Fastboot USB on the phone?

What happens if you just do -

fastboot reboot

Does that work?

PS -

Please make sure that you're plugged in to a USB 2 port. I presume that everything worked to get the token from that same setup but maybe writing is more challenging from a USB 3 (I remember that we did have some trouble with that early on.)

My unlock bin file is 256 bytes, please check properties and compare on yours (although I expect that is not the issue).

Also, cable check, see if can you copy files to or from your phone when it's running normally.

Sorry if you've said any of that already, I'm just trying to cover all of the bases.

Upvote 0
That looks right.

And it says Fastboot USB on the phone?

What happens if you just do -

fastboot reboot

Does that work?

PS -

Please make sure that you're plugged in to a USB 2 port. I presume that everything worked to get the token from that same setup but maybe writing is more challenging from a USB 3 (I remember that we did have some trouble with that early on.)

My unlock bin file is 256 bytes, please check properties and compare on yours (although I expect that is not the issue).

Also, cable check, see if can you copy files to or from your phone when it's running normally.

Sorry if you've said any of that already, I'm just trying to cover all of the bases.

fastboot reboot (from command window) reboots phone fine.

Running XP (sp3) on an old Dell Dimension 4700 desktop, so it only has USB 2.0 ports on it. I am plugged into the rear ports because IIRC, front ports are often from a hub.

Unlock bin is 256 bytes.

Cable should be fine as I used it to copy my photos and files to this PC from both internal and SD memory just prior to attempting to root.

One last thing, the SDK-Tools version says: Pulled from the SDK of February 13, 2013

One question, should HTC Sync be running while using the cmd window? :thinking:

(the main reasons I wanted to root are to remove bloatware, freeze certain apps that I don't use, and <hopefully> make the phone think my SD card is part of internal memory so I don't run out of space again. If there's an easier way to achieve all that, please feel free to steer me in that direction!)

Upvote 0
Hmmmm...

Have you tried the usual wipe of cache + Dalvik from TWRP?

Did you do the RUU update that changed the partition sizes?

It's possible that you have a bad flash, maybe, even though you have this on two different roms.

Is your TWRP up to date?

PS - I'm mostly using our app to post tonight, so I have to refresh to see comments.

If it looks like I've ignored either of you, please post "hey look up" or something.

Because - sometimes the app is wonky.

Will get to my browser as soon as I can.
im not sure how to update twrp i have 2.7
i did not do a ruu update.where did i miss that?

Upvote 0
ok now i really need some help, i think i need my hand held thru this, now my phone keeps throwing me a " unfortunately the process com.android.systemui has stopped" msg and my phone work function unless i restore to day 1 when i first flashed dirty unicorns.
I believe they were talking about this over in the dirty unicorn G+ community. It had something to do with an issue with the newest version of the Google+ app. You could do 1 of 2 things. 1 reinstall and turn off auto update on the play store before it updates google+. 2 go to the G+ DU community and download one of the test (or weeklies) that had fixed the issue.

Upvote 0
What part of the first post is giving you trouble?

Welcome to the forums!
i try using windroid and im get this in logs
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at WinDroid_Universal_Android_Toolkit.MainWindow.<UpdateDevice>d__12.MoveNext()
program closes
this happen after selecting the unlock_code.bin thing

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones