• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cycle Girl

Lurker
Aug 24, 2023
New here and I hope I am not asking something that has already been discussed here. I did use the search option and found nothing.
Anyone have any info on trackers for luggage that can be used with an android device? Those I have found are compatible with Apple but not Android.
Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

I have the Samsung SmartTag, which uses the SmartThings app. When I travel, I just stash the tag in my luggage (either in a zippered compartment or concealed in the lining) and use that. Works great: and reviews say that the original SmartTag is better, and cheaper, than the buggy SmartTag+

(I put another one on the Darling Bride's keychain since it has a tendency to "wander off" to places unknown... and those key fobs are expensive...)

Upvote 0
I have the Samsung SmartTag, which uses the SmartThings app. When I travel, I just stash the tag in my luggage (either in a zippered compartment or concealed in the lining) and use that. Works great: and reviews say that the original SmartTag is better, and cheaper, than the buggy SmartTag+
Thanks so much. I will check that out!

Upvote 0
SmartTag 2 just passed certification and should be released in October with UWB by default. It's expected to work with any Android phone using Google's Find My Device.
Ah, good: I refuse to buy anything that only works with a single manufacturer's devices (other than a phone case).
i sue tile:
Really? What have they done to you?

Or did you mean "use"? ;)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Excerpt from Edgar Cervantes's article "Samsung Galaxy SmartTag review: A clever Bluetooth tracker with one major flaw":
The Galaxy SmartTag is only compatible with Samsung Galaxy phones running Android 8.0 Oreo or higher and with 2GB RAM and above. If you’re going to use the AR finding feature with the Samsung Galaxy SmartTag Plus, you will need Android 11 or higher.
And that's not the only source, I've seen other articles saying that too. Seems for non-Samsung Android: The only options are Tile and a traditional GPS trackers.

Upvote 0
That review is for the original SmartTag. But AA's review of the SmartTag 2 starts by saying that that also only works with Samsung devices.

Which is a shame, but it means I'll wait until an android-wide tracker is available (platform-independent would be best, but Apple and Google will always play their silly games so I'm not holding my breath).

Upvote 0
If you are out of range it relies on phones running the Tile app being within range of the device, same as all of these Bluetooth trackers. AirTags can be pretty effective in countries where there are a lot of iPhones because they'll all have their equivalent app in them. Samsung's tags similarly, since there are a lot of Samsungs and Smart Things is pre-installed on them. If Google ever release something and integrate it with Find My Device then they'll have the biggest network of the lot. But how many people will have the Tile app installed? If I lived in Palo Alto then I'd guess there might be a fair number around, but I have never known anyone in real life mention Tile, and I suspect that a lot of places I hang out or travel to there will be few, or more likely no, Tile users nearby. Whereas anywhere there are people there will be Androids, and mostly there will be iPhones too, which is why a tracking network based on a pre-installed app will be much more powerful.

So if I was worried about losing my keys around my own house, Tile would be fine. But if I might become separated from the item I'm tracking I would not have confidence in Tile to locate it. And I'm not someone who loses things in their own house, so that wouldn't be my use case for something like this.

Upvote 0
I'll wait until an android-wide tracker is available. [...] If Google ever release something and integrate it with Find My Device then they'll have the biggest network of the lot.
Seems Cihpo has you covered, they have trackers which work with Google's "Find My Device" for pre-order. I contracted Cihpo support to make sure I understood the page properly, and here's what they had to say:
Yes, every compatible phone (almost all recent Android phones) will be a part of Google's [Find My Device] network. You will be able to get an updated location whenever the Chipolo Point tracker will get in range of a such device.
This link (my affiliate link), according to Chipolo, gives a 20% discount. Just make sure you order the Chipolo trackers for Google's network! They also make trackers for Apple's network, and their own network.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones