• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root M130 -> M140 -> M150 Worth it??

bmcgregor3

Lurker
Jan 31, 2013
Hi All,

I have a rooted C771 with M130 that works pretty well. Innopath has been trying to update the phone to M140 for months now and consistently fails with IP_PREVIOUS_UPDATE_FAILDED reason. Update downloads, reboots, update progress screen to about 1/3 of the progress bar then fails and reboots.

Overall things have been working pretty well with the phone other than a problem I am having with backup assistant that I will post in another topic.

I would like to know if there are any advantages to the new (M140 and M150) builds? I have a feeling it will take me a bit of work to get the updates and am not sure it is worth it.

Thanks!
Bruce

I am not sure about going from m140-m150 as all they really did was get rid of some bloatware, but I know that m130-m140 has a patch for the radio, so keep that in mind...

I have been able to update all of my commandos and can say that none of the rooting methods have been patched in the new firmware versions.
In order for the update to complete properly, you must flash the correct version of the stock system, boot, and recovery, before you try to update. else, it will fail.

Upvote 0
I have been rebuilding C771's from parts off of eBay. The main reason is my teenage daughter is really hard on phones. Being an old Alltel customer on Verizon, I have unlimited data. However, to add my daughter to my plan, they will take away my unlimited data, so she is on Net10. Currently, I have a C771 with rooted M150 and a rooted M110. I would like to get the M110 to M150. The M110 has been activated on Net10, the M150 is not activated. Ideally I'd like to take the boot.img, nandroid.md5, recovery.img, and system.img from the M150 and put it on the M110. I don't have a problem using Willster419's 1.6.1 tool to root the phone (it worked the first time on the M110, but took several attempts/reboots on the M150), but really don't want to get too far from stock. The whole point of this is to use Bulent Akpinar’s Link2SD app. My daughter likes to install more apps than 400MB allows for; even my DROID4 with 3GB for data is pretty full. I figured I would allocate 6 to 9GB for app data on her phone. How would you suggest getting from M110 to M150? By the way, I tried using InnoPath on the Net10 active M110 before the root but it gave a Status of 'Service unavailable’, Code '503'. Net10 uses the Verizon network, but I guess they don’t have access to everything. Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhightman
I would like to get the M110 to M150. The M110 has been activated on Net10, the M150 is not activated. Ideally I'd like to take the boot.img, nandroid.md5, recovery.img, and system.img from the M150 and put it on the M110.

That will not work due to radio baseband patches in M130 and M140.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhightman
The whole point of this is to use Bulent Akpinar

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones