• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mail Notification...Why Is The Droid Pulling Back Old Email?

Good morning everyone!

I have a question regarding the mail feature of the Droid. I have three accounts setup. One Gmail, one Yahoo and one Hotmail (yep...I like all flavors).

I can send and receive mail without issue but for some reason with the Yahoo and the Hotmail account, the Droid will seem to pull "old" email back onto the device and mark it as new and light up the indicator. This gives then shows that I have new mail but it really isn't new but it is old, previously read email that has been deleted and pulled back onto the device.

Anyone else having this issue and have you been able to resolve it?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Most likely because the device hasn't seen the messages before, is limited to how many it can "hold" in the inbox, and is set to "not delete messages from server" (which is a good thing) once it sees them.

FWIW, I just installed K-9 Mail, from the Market, and its much more configurable than the default client. Supposedly has problems with Hotmail, but may be limited to "Plus" accounts.

Upvote 0
Same issue here with Yahoo mail. Im really surprised this has not been figured out yet. I have asked this question more than once with no resolution so far. Wish I could get this working right. Only real issue I have with the Droid.

Its just how the mobile client works. Its set to view/hold the most recent (whatever value is configured, either default or user defined) number or number of days, worth of messages. I believe this was done to conserve space on mobile devices, as there was no GUI to allow the message store to be saved onto the SD card. I made registry changes on my WinMo to allow all messages to be DL'd to SD card.

Basically, if you have 100 messages in your web account, and the mobile client set to pull down latest 50, and the client is set to "not delete message from server after synch (or after deletions), if you delete message number 50, and have no new messages come in, then next time it synchs, it will pull down that same message from your web account bringing the total back to 50, because it wasn't deleted from the server.

The thing I liked so much about Outlook mobile was that you can DL all messages in the folders, so this scenario doesn't happen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones