• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Major half root issue

The big GUN's are ROM dev's and such. They are pretty tied up with projects right now though. Unless I can get a hold of another member I know? With your half root state, it could be super easy to turn it into a brick. Anything done has to be for sure and for certain, no guessing it might work kind of thing. I know, because I'm looking at my first Android phone which is a brick for that very reason. Half root mess and just had to keep trying to fix it. Oops too late, bricked it good.

You do know that you voided your warranty when you rooted the phone.

Upvote 0
The big GUN's are ROM dev's and such. They are pretty tied up with projects right now though. Unless I can get a hold of another member I know? With your half root state, it could be super easy to turn it into a brick. Anything done has to be for sure and for certain, no guessing it might work kind of thing. I know, because I'm looking at my first Android phone which is a brick for that very reason. Half root mess and just had to keep trying to fix it. Oops too late, bricked it good.

You do know that you voided your warranty when you rooted the phone.

idk, let me know if you have an idea. Bricking without root access is possible?

Upvote 0
Hi,
I am pretty confident about the solution :rolleyes:

(1) Just to confirm ,
Is ur device dual sim or single sim ? ( is it p690 or p698 ) ?
(2) after connecting with pc in debugging mode,
what output you get of " adb remount " command ?
If you had rooted by some exploit by which the exploit changed the default.prop in boot.img , you would get something like remount sucessfull ......

this wont change anything but will just mount system as rw in adb !
if we are successful in this we may have a option open ...

Reactions: AndyOpie150
Upvote 0
idk, let me know if you have an idea. Bricking without root access is possible?
I went through the same thing your going through. I even checked with root checker and another utility, they both said I no longer had root. I did the factory reset and BAM! B R I C K.

What did the Superuser Update Fixer have to say when you opened it up and ran it?

Upvote 0
I went through the same thing your going through. I even checked with root checker and another utility, they both said I no longer had root. I did the factory reset and BAM! B R I C K.

What did the Superuser Update Fixer have to say when you opened it up and ran it?

it basically said everything was fine, but when I tried to force a fix, it failed. Even after a like 10 factory resets, it hasn't bricked.

Upvote 0
Oh ! Now i think try to root from zurgrush exploit !!

It is a option in super one click app ! or see this : zurgrush -- XDA
and if it is rooted by that way we will surely get a unsecured boot :)

After which we will have away into the system :)

Also, please give me the output of :
Code:
stat -c '%A %a %n' /system/bin/chmod

i think problem can be solved if zurgrush roots ;) [[ I am damn sure it will ]]
as then we will have adb as root then anything is possible :)

Upvote 0
Oh ! Now i think try to root from zurgrush exploit !!

It is a option in super one click app ! or see this : zurgrush -- XDA
and if it is rooted by that way we will surely get a unsecured boot :)

After which we will have away into the system :)

Also, please give me the output of :
Code:
stat -c '%A %a %n' /system/bin/chmod
i think problem can be solved if zurgrush roots ;) [[ I am damn sure it will ]]
as then we will have adb as root then anything is possible :)

Thanks for all your help guys. But I think I'm going to give up. I've already tried zergrush. It failed. as for that command, i don't know what it will say because I've already fixed to buy a new phone. Someone told me he can get me one cheap if I recycle my old one, the rep said he doesn't think it matters if its rooted, but if it does, they will just send me it back. I sent it in already. I know chmod permissions were screwed up, and so was the checksum of the file. Mount command was a size of 0. I don't even know how the phone was still working. If I get a new phone, I'm going to root and not factory reset again until I've unrooted. I think what actually happened and what the problem was is I was stupid, installed busybox, then tried to uninstalled it. The first time it failed, and the second time it succeeded. Thats when I think everything botched.

Upvote 0
If you get a Busybox installer from the market it has two install locations. The one that works the best is the /system/xbin
Busybox is necessary for some rooted applications.

In the future the best way to unroot is to use the same exploit you used to root, as most have a unroot feature (check before you use it)

Busy box can be deleted one file at a time.

Reactions: ninadchaudhari
Upvote 0
If you get a Busybox installer from the market it has two install locations. The one that works the best is the /system/xbin
Busybox is necessary for some rooted applications.

In the future the best way to unroot is to use the same exploit you used to root, as most have a unroot feature (check before you use it)

Busy box can be deleted one file at a time.

Busy box warned that I not uninstall as it can cause problems, the first time it said this happened (it said it failed to uninstall), but I ignored it. I think it caused issues later. As I understand, the root exploit I used install busybox anyways. So I didn't need to do it. I think somewhere in my busybox uninstalling and my factory reset attempts I caused this and it was probably because I reset with recovery. The regular option on the phone, worked fine the first time and preserved root. when I went to stock recovery twice, is when everything got all wierd.

Also, after reading a bit I did not remove the sd when reseting and I had link2sd install. This might have played an effect not entirely by itself but coupled with the fact I was using titianium backup when re-installing apps when it happened.

Upvote 0
Carrier firmware updates of any kind will usually strip root access, replace your custom recovery, and sometimes even soft brick your phone. If your rooted, do not accept any updates of any kind while rooted. You can unroot, but sometimes the update makes it harder, if not almost impossible, to re-root you phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones