Major problem with Handcent?Support

Last Updated:

1. Jon Nale

Jon Nale Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

A friend of mine (who also has a Droid) uses handcent, and on several occasions, her texts go to the wrong people!

So for example, she will send a text to person A, and on person A's sms thread, you can see the text message. All of a sudden, person B will respond to the message, and when you go to person B's sms thread, the text isn't there, but person B did in fact receive it.

Ever since I saw this happen (I literally saw it happen), I am having SERIOUS doubts about using handcent. Are there any other cool SMS apps?

Advertisement
  2. Papadroid

Papadroid VIP Member VIP Member

Chomp SMS seems to be pretty popular.

3. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Well-Known Member

I've been using Handcent since January and I've NEVER had this happen!

4. ladybadger2007

ladybadger2007 Well-Known Member

I've been using handcent since Nov and as of yet have not had this happen. It has been not dismissing the pop up as of late, but so far thats all the problem I have had

5. Ally305

Ally305 Well-Known Member

I've had this happen before too. I've recently uninstalled Handcent,but for another reason.It started lagging alot on me and when I opened to use the keyboard,the screen would go black and it'd force close. I might try out ChompSMS.

6. brnr17

brnr17 Well-Known Member

my biggest complain with handscent is MMS not coming through or sending

7. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member

I've never had an issue with Handcent. Everytime I read a story about issues others have it baffles me. This app has been nothing short of spectatular for me.

8. chadwick108

chadwick108 Well-Known Member

I have used handcent for several months also and never had that issue or anything like that...sounds strange though.

Moto droid running 2.2 with flash overclocked to 1.5ghz with swype...gotta love it!

9. bemenaker

bemenaker Well-Known Member

I have seen this happen on handcent, but not in a while. But I do know exactly what you are talking about.

10. Kerplunk

Kerplunk Member

the default messaging app does it show that the handcent message went to the wrong person? or does it just reflect what happened on handcent?

11. watersrules

watersrules Well-Known Member

that was going to be my response... if so, she may need to take a look at whether or not her contacts are crossed somehow.... case in point, my wife's name is Amber, and my cousin married a different Amber, so of course they each have the same first and last name and I had to force separate the contacts but its still a little funky w/ regard to contact photos etc

12. ltbakken

ltbakken Well-Known Member

i had this happen twice this week. it would only happen to one message in the thread. the thread reflects everything being normal. this shows the contacts are not crossed whatsoever. it is a very concerning problem

13. Lomallin

Lomallin Well-Known Member

Odd issue here with Handcent, not getting texts. On other verizon phone on my plan, it shows a successful send & receive, but I do not have it. Also, I get partials, and then up to two days later the missing part will appear mixed in with a new text from the same person. Both happen from the second phone on my contract. It worked awesome for me up to two months ago. I am debating on re-installing it, but that was a bunch of confusion to have to deal with. They show the same in default messaging as Handcent.

14. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

Well, I guess that means you can't be sexting anymore... ;):D

But in all seriousness, I have not had this happen that I know of. In other words, I have never been notified that a text I sent went to the wrong person.

BTW, I have been using Handcent since I first got my Droid in Feb.

Kratos

15. Jeffruby

Jeffruby Well-Known Member

been using handcent for a year....just had this happen to me today....enough to make me immidiately delete app! only thing i added was swype update and gingerbread keyboard....not rooted

16. SNeitzel

SNeitzel Well-Known Member

+1

17. ndoren

ndoren Well-Known Member Contributor

I had noticed some "weirdness" in handcent since the new frg83 update. I had a message that went to right recipient, but later ended up showing up in the thread of another conversation. Never saw that before, and I've sent thousands of texts for the past year with handcent.

Before giving up on handcent, I'd suggest users remove and reinstall (or at the very least delete the data) and try again. I know you will have to re-enter your preferences, but it's worth it. It works great for me again. Neall

18. Dysnomia

Dysnomia Well-Known Member

This has happened to me about 10 times with people that have completely different names, sometimes with people I dont even have a thread for.

19. thomaswilson12

thomaswilson12 Member

Once I sent a text to the wrong person in Handcent because I sent it right when another one popped up. That is the only time I send it to the wrong person.
    I was talking to a friend who had just got out of the shower and was freezing, I said "Why are you walking around naked?", unfortunately, it got sent to my girlfriend instead.

20. Sportster

Sportster Well-Known Member

Have had handcent for a year now and never had a prob until recently. Wife just said she just got a double text of what I sent her yesterday and she said it has done that a few times recently. Also I keep a close eye on my texts because I was hit with a huge overage charge couple months back and was wondering because I'm positive there was no way I used it that much. Found that I was getting charged for notications on Weather alerts, gametime starts and score updates but even that wasn't enough. So I'm wondering if these phantom double texts sent are causing the problems, using up my text limits.

21. hypetech

hypetech Member

I don't mean to necro a thread here, but this "text to the wrong person" issue just happened to me. I've used handcent for well over a year now, and as far as I know it's been great. Here's what happened. I had one existing thread from a conversation last night. This morning a different person sent me a text. I opened the new text and replied directly, but the message was instead sent to the person I had the existing thread with. In both handcent and the default messaging app, it shows that I sent the text to the person I intended, but that person was not the one that received it. Has there been any more progress on a fix for this type of issue?

22. bemenaker

bemenaker Well-Known Member

It's not a Handcent bug, it's a rare android bug. Google recently acknowledged it and has supposedly made a fix for it already.

GirLuvsDroid likes this.
  23. flash24

flash24 Well-Known Member

Default SMS not with Handcent though.

24. icecold

icecold Well-Known Member

This is the only time I have had the problem of sending a text to the wrong person. It would usually happen when I clicked on a conversation thread, usually near the top, and one from near the bottom of the screen would pop up. I didn't notice until after I sent the SMS.

I have also had issues of receiving MMS messages from others, but I don't think this has anything to do with Handcent. Otherwise, these messages would show up in the stock SMS app.

Beyond these two, I haven't had any other issues.

25. NiceGuysFinishLast

NiceGuysFinishLast Well-Known Member

Handcent is essentially a new front end for the stock messaging app. That's why you can't remove/freeze messaging.apk when you use handcent. Handcent changes what you see, not how the program works. All of the default settings for the stock app still apply... same with the bugs.