• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[MAJOR SOLUTION] Fix your slow 3g speeds:EVO4g

very odd indeed. take your phone in to a sprint repair center and ask for a "slate" test.

it will test all of the hardware functions. express to them your disappointment in lack of 3g connectivity...

i took mine in today and only confirmed that it IS NOT my phone, but mass tower outages. They ordered me a new phone anyway (dust under screen)

they mentioned lack of refurbs so it will be interesting to see what I get as a replacement. I don't dis refurbs...if it works better than what I have than I say it's a win situation

Upvote 0
Apologies for being off topic but is there a similar fix for the Heroc? Since updating to PRL 60676 my 3g speeds are absolutely horrid. At best 100kbps down and up is usually better ~200-300kbs.

Of course my last 2 settings under advanced are RTSP proxy port/address and I changed them to 0, 0.0.0.0 as described but my PRL never reverted.

If someone knows a way I'd be much obliged.

Upvote 0
just tried this right now.

after the reboot, i couldn't get past the hands-free activation screen. it just timed out and suggested i update my PRL . i tried to update the PRL but that is timing out too.

any suggestions?

edit: tried putting the old settings back in, but no luck. now i don't have 3g at all. any help would be appreciated. (voice still works)

edit #2: turns out the sprint activation servers were down all last night... that explains it... everything worked great after that and my speeds are much much faster. THX

Reactions: Mr. Ed
Upvote 0
Apologies for being off topic but is there a similar fix for the Heroc? Since updating to PRL 60676 my 3g speeds are absolutely horrid. At best 100kbps down and up is usually better ~200-300kbs.

Of course my last 2 settings under advanced are RTSP proxy port/address and I changed them to 0, 0.0.0.0 as described but my PRL never reverted.

If someone knows a way I'd be much obliged.

Have you also zeroed out your HTTP proxy values?

Upvote 0
So I tried this fix, but after my phone reboots, the Sprint Hands Free Activation never starts, and I don't have any 3G anymore. I have tried reflashing the PRL manually, and that doesn't help either. How can I force Hands Free Activation to start so I can get 3G back?

Thanks!

I answered your pm... are you rooted? if so are you running a gsm port?

if you are not rooted there is no 3g connectivity at the location you are at...thus the handsfree activation will not work as it does this over 3g you will need to travel to a working 3g area and it will activate.

update data in the system update menu until it works

dreamliner...if you updated your prl and your speeds are still slower than sprint definitely changed something in your area

Upvote 0
henderson you are using a gsm port (warm z) I sent you directions on how to fix your situation. the epst menu is specific to cdma phones and does not work correctly on asop or ported gsm roms

warm z is a gsm ported rom lol...

I have warnings about that in the root version...which is in the root forum. you were following the non rooted instructions in troubleshooting.

you need to create a nandroid go back to a sense rom, allow it to handsfree activate, and then go back to your nandroid of z and all will be better..

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for this post... I just bought my EVO Shift 4G on Saturday, and have been experiencing major problems with the 3G even starting up prior to finding this.. I'd have to fiddle around with Airplane mode, etc before it would even start..

I have a Sprint Airave Access Point with 3G in my home that is hooked up to a 30Mbps down/5Mbps Up Cable connection.. Standing right next to the unit, I would only achieve a maximum Speedtest.net result of 128kbps and about 90 kbps up -- it was like I was stuck on 1x/RTT. After getting my MSL from Sprint, and discussing this thread with a Sprint Level 2 support rep, he agreed I should give the suggestion a try, since he could find nothing wrong with the provisioning of my phone or my Airave.

After performing this, through the Airave -- Speedtest.net results now show a great 3G connection -- I'm in NY, and connecting to Philly test server, I got 2423 kbps down and 482 kbps up... For NYC test server, 2016 kbps down, 686 kbps up... And finally with Kansas City, MO server -- 2441 kbps down, 622 kbps up.

This was also definitely the cause of my Pandora/Slacker skipping and pausing as well. THANK YOU!

Rick

Reactions: Mr. Ed
Upvote 0
Thank you sooo much for the post! I've been going back and forth with sprint for the last MONTH and they couldn't figure what the issue was. Tech support did the media refresh with me and reset the HTTP as you described, but they had me update the PRL after that and I guess screwed everything up. Then they transfered me to network support who came back with no network issues. They then suggested a new phone.. WTF!!!??? I would have wasted another week just dialing in my settings again. I also tried going into the Sprint Store where the service employee was very rude and dismissive saying that my issues were due to 3rd party softwear and the phone was fine. They didn't even do a speed test.. just quick draw to blame someone else.. horrible support!

5 minutes after finding this form.. I once again LOVE my EVO! Thank you soo much!!!!

Before the FIX: 3G Down: .14 Up: .10
After the FIX: 3G Down: .98 Up: .14

No 4G service in my office so that hasn't been tested but I was getting 3-9Mbs down before the fix so if it helps that too.. AMAZING!

Upvote 0
Updated PRL to 60677

My download speeds went from .5 to .7
I upload speeds went from .5 to .35

So I gained some on the down side and lost a little on the upside. I am in a pretty poor coverage area and just outside my backdoor it works better so I will try out back just out of curiosity.

On another note, I was at friends house last night in a 4G area....damn that is good stuff!!! He has no internet at his house(just moved in) but had a laptop and we tethered up and were seeing 5mbps down and 1.5 up. Anyway, I practically had him out of his VZW contract and on an Evo....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones