• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Making my own ringtones...

I going to want to make my own ringtones soon, and I am wondering what everyone recommends is the BEST or better way for me to get my music onto my phone and storing it. For example... is it better to put music on my phone with the music app, clip and cut my ring tone in that app and store my tones that way.. or is it better to clip up a song on my computer using something like Audacity and then send it to my phone via Bluetooth or USB Tethered? and if I did do it that way, where would I store it on the phone, folder, some in depth storage preference? I am a new Smart phone user, so I am looking for the best way to store my ring tones on the phone without making it bogged down and the best way to make my tone and transferring it to my phone.

Any suggestions useful!! :)

Thank You!

Here's what I do.

I edit my clip using Audacity, and export it as an mp3. ( I use the computer because I'm very picky about my ringtones, since there's the possibility other people will hear it. )

If your going to do it this way, you'll need to do the following: (or very similar)

-Mount your sdcard through your phone or a card reader.
-Make a folder called anything, I call mine "Ringtones" for easy reference.
-Drag your new tones into this folder and unmount the card.
-Navigate to the new tone, (On your phone, I do this using Astro File Manager.)
-Tap on it and it'll open in the "Music" app.
-Then in Music>Options, there should be the option to set as ringtone.

I prefer to make my ringtone folder on the top level of the sdcard away from any subfolders, again, I'm just picky.

Upvote 0
What phone are you using? I wonder if one is internal memory and one is your sdcard. Check the sizes of both volumes, the one that matches your sdcard size is, obviously, your sdcard.

Turn off your phone, before pulling out your card when you check the size label thats printed on the card.

4 or 8GB are pretty much the standard size cards that ship with phones.

To verify, your plugging in your phone to the mac with the usb cable, then pulling down the notification bar and mounting the phone to your computer?

The other option is to turn off the phone and remove the card and put the card into a card reader if you have one. If your like me you'll have a ziplock bag just full of sdcards and accessories:p

**edit** I see you have the incredible, and I looked and some people are having problems with win 7 and the included sync program. (?) The safest/fastest thing to do is to use a card reader, i guess, and bypass the phone.

Upvote 0
O really? Whats win 7? and there is a syncing issue and pulling and putting things on and off the phone when mounted? Hmm..jeeze, well I am going to try your solutions and some of my own and when I get it, I will inform you.

Thank You once again! Oh btw... I am the same with ziplocks and storing items, except I do it with all my audio and video gear ( I am an audio/video engineer, haha).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones