• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Malaysia Airlines tragedies

Pilot: Malaysian Jet Probably Flew Over Danger Area to Save Money

"Some of the other countries followed suit," he said, including Quantas, Singapore, Asiana, Korean Air, Cathay Pacific, and Pakistan.

"So a lot of people thought it wasn't a good idea, so why did they keep going it? There really isn't any good reason except that this is a cash-strapped airline, and they didn't have the money to go around it, or didn't want to spend the money to go around it."

Upvote 0
Pilot: Malaysian Jet Probably Flew Over Danger Area to Save Money

"Some of the other countries followed suit," he said, including Quantas, Singapore,....

Singapore!? I flew with that airline last week. Singapore SIN to London Heathrow LHR, we went right over Kandahar, Afghanistan at 32000 feet, which I know is a war zone, Taliban stronghold. Last year I flew with Malaysia Airlines, very much the same route.

Jet fuel is expensive, profits are minimal, always take the shortest root.

Upvote 0
I don't think it's reasonable to blame the airlines or pilots for flying in what was considered the safe zone.

How about we blame the lowlife murdering scum who took the lives of innocent people who were just minding their own business?

How about we blame whatever faction that thought that they were entitled to do whatever their weapons allowed them to?

How about we not imply that the pilots were stupid and we should spend extra travel money to avoid criminals because by extension, isn't that just about the same as calling the passengers stupid for not checking ahead of time?

Maybe that's just me but that's what I think.

Upvote 0
I don't think it's reasonable to blame the airlines or pilots for flying in what was considered the safe zone.

How about we blame the lowlife murdering scum who took the lives of innocent people who were just minding their own business?

How about we blame whatever faction that thought that they were entitled to do whatever their weapons allowed them to?

How about we not imply that the pilots were stupid and we should spend extra travel money to avoid criminals because by extension, isn't that just about the same as calling the passengers stupid for not checking ahead of time?

qft

qft a second time because it is so true.

Upvote 0

Not just unreasonable, completely ill-founded. Whilst the final say in flight routing rests with the pilot(s), they and the airlines can only act on information received. There was no Notice To Aviators issued regarding this flight corridor. The airspace above A32 was open and regularly used by many international airlines flying between Europe and Asia. In fact, according to the Flightradar24 web site, on the afternoon of July 17th one Aeroflot flight, one Air India aircraft, and two each from Lufthansa, Singapore Airlines and Virgin Atlantic were also over E Ukraine. Over the previous week more than 370 flights had passed though the airspace.

Upvote 0
Gruesome...

Graveyard of desecration: Grave robbers. Ghoulish tourists taking pictures on their mobiles.

- Several human victims were still stuck in their seats. Others were mangled, mashed and hideously manipulated
- In one burned patch of grass littered with charred debris lay five crumpled corpses in a heap
- Some of the 200 staff from Ukraine

Upvote 0
This Maarten de Jonge is in the Terengganu Cycling Team in Malaysia. He would fly to Kuala Lumpur last Thursday in the MH17 fly with KLM, after a brief holiday in the Netherlands. He gave it up because the next KLM flight was 300 euros cheaper.
There is also a stewardess who swapped flights twice and missed both of these incidents.

Sadly her husband swapped onto MH17.

The fact that the pro-ruskies are denying investigators access to the plane and have whisked the black box and other evidence back to Moscow speaks volumes about the type of people they are.
Beware of quoting media stories as fact. The situation on the ground has been handled badly, but do you actually know that black boxes have been taken to Moscow? If so they got them back to the Ukraine fast, because they've now been handed over to Malaysian investigators.

Upvote 0
Kinda heavy today. The first two planes with remains of 40 arrived almost two hours ago. Fourty coffins are in fourty cars right now. Ready for a 120km ride. All in complete silence.
Public transport stood still. Everyone was, for one minute when the planes arrived. The highways from the airport to the center where the bodies will be examined/identified will be closed for the transport. All is broadcasted live for all to see. Big screens everywhere, but people could leave work for home early and watch at home. Flags are hung at half mast everywhere. No advertising in any radio or television public broadcasting today. Furthermore, there is no entertainment on the TV channels and on the radio no games played. Also, the music is changed.
All the remains will be here by Friday.

Among them two couples from neighboring villages. And a collegues best friend with his girl.

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0
No personal losses for me, thank God.
Wow. People are paying respect, standing aside of the highway, cars from the opposite direction parked. Flowers and manymore at the entrance of the military barracks where that expert center for identification is.
I hope this can make up some of the disrespectful way the bodies have been treated so far, for the ones grieving.
This has to be done, before they can go home to their families and friends, where ever in this world.

Upvote 0
Wow. People are paying respect, standing aside of the highway, cars from the opposite direction parked. Flowers and manymore at the entrance of the military barracks where that expert center for identification is.
I hope this can make up some of the disrespectful way the bodies have been treated so far, for the ones grieving.
This has to be done, before they can go home to their families and friends, where ever in this world.

It seems to me like people outside of the US show a greater reverence for the dead. Prayers going out to the families of the victims.

Upvote 0

I saw some of it on CNN. Very respectful, very classy way to honor the victims. Full military honors. You should be proud of your country for the way this was handled.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones