• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Malware Analyst here - love to hear from developer's on in-app Ad Fraud

Hey all, wondering if you could shed some light or share your opinion/view on the matter.

I have analyzed malicious apps that run services in the background to do constant ad impressions and make money. Typically they will autostart themselves using broadcast receivers (from common things like "BOOT_COMPLETE/etc" and invoke services).

From your experience monetizing in-app Android ads, does this seem like a practical way to make money? Im not aware of the common CPM/CPC rates, but if they are good, why dont we see this more with apps? Or even, why arent developers stacking banners on top of each other to make double money per impression for example (ethics aside)? App store may catch it, but there are plenty of ways to obfuscate this from Bouncer. Are there obstacles Im not seeing? Id also like to hear anything else you think I should watch out for with Android in-app ad fraud. Thanks!

Reactions: The-Truth
Hey all, wondering if you could shed some light or share your opinion/view on the matter.

I have analyzed malicious apps that run services in the background to do constant ad impressions and make money. Typically they will autostart themselves using broadcast receivers (from common things like "BOOT_COMPLETE/etc" and invoke services).

From your experience monetizing in-app Android ads, does this seem like a practical way to make money? Im not aware of the common CPM/CPC rates, but if they are good, why dont we see this more with apps? Or even, why arent developers stacking banners on top of each other to make double money per impression for example (ethics aside)? App store may catch it, but there are plenty of ways to obfuscate this from Bouncer. Are there obstacles Im not seeing? Id also like to hear anything else you think I should watch out for with Android in-app ad fraud. Thanks!
Well there are apks/ways to "catch/stop" ad fraud like say adaway or with root and custom recovery one can flash/install M.O.A.A.B Mother Of All Ad Blocking in wich helps/stops/prevents ad's and or helps one from "running" into ad's in the first place. Im no dev but Im one hell of a SuperUsing "Flashaddict" who READS up alot on firmware and runs/flashes the fine work these under rated developers build for us superusers. Big shout out to my man Hroark13 for building TWRP for us in the first place. Ur the shit HROARK!......Are you a SuperUser David?... do you root youre devices?... or are you running "stock"?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones