• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Managing startup apps

C3Pdroid

Apr 29, 2012
I cannot seem to stop certain apps from starting up. I tried the following apps to stop them:
- Startup Manager Free
- Startup Cleaner

Neither of them allow me to prevent MIB3 (Men in black 3, a game) from booting on startup. Startup Cleaner managed (allegedly) to kill off some apps on startup which I marked, but still MIB3 keeps running on startup. Dropbox doesn't want to be killed at startup neither, even though I selected it in the list of 'prevent from starting up' and rebooted.

Why can't I seem to stop these apps from starting up? How would I manage to do so?

Thanks

Because those apps you mentioned not only boots at startup, but pushes itself to be restarted. for example if you kill dropbox at startup or at any other time, it will just restart itself a few minutes later. I would advice to just leave them alone. And also are you using task killers? Remove them. Including the startup manager thing you have. If your intention was to save battery and make your phone go faster, startup managers and task killers make your phone slower and eat more battery in the long run. They are ok if you are on older Android versions like 2.2 and below, but if you aren't stop using them.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
I understand that, but the MIB3 game keeps notifying me "hello, are you playing the game?". Perhaps I could turn notifications off on a per-app basis - I don't know about that.

MIB3 eats up a considerable amount of resources so I do not like to have that running. Perhaps I should delete it. This is not a very practical way to do things. How else do you save your resources from being eaten up? I value my battery life, especially during travel.

Upvote 0
Android learns the apps you use the most over time by the number of times its killed and it starts up again. Over time it will learn your usage pattern and it will only load apps you use the most to RAM.

If you are talking about resources being eaten up by RAM, you must understand that Android runs differently from Windows. Android is designed to save battery and operate faster by preloading stuff to RAM. Its normal for Android to have up to 90% of RAM used up at times, because pre-loaded apps open faster and use less power than opening them from scratch. Its like a hyped up version of Windows Superfetch, the difference being a larger amount of RAM is allocated for it's prefetch.

As for battery, it entirely depends on your setup. I can get up to 40hrs standby on my phone.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0

That's standby, if I leave it alone, based on the fact it uses about 18% in 7hrs over night by the time my alarm rings. That's approx 2.5%/hr, so 40hrs. Of course it's much shorter in real life when I use it for texts and calls and stuff, usually lasts about 15-20hrs.

I really don't do anything special on the phone. I have everything turned on: Google Sync, Facebook messages and alerts, Twitter alerts and sync, data is turned on, Sugarsync and Dropbox active in the background, etc. The only thing I did was to install a power saver app whose only function was to toggle data on and off on regular intervals.

Upvote 0
I understand that, but the MIB3 game keeps notifying me "hello, are you playing the game?". Perhaps I could turn notifications off on a per-app basis - I don't know about that.

MIB3 eats up a considerable amount of resources so I do not like to have that running. Perhaps I should delete it. This is not a very practical way to do things. How else do you save your resources from being eaten up? I value my battery life, especially during travel.

Most of the time, but not always, developers want constructive feedback about the apps that they've created. I recommend getting in touch with the app dev and going over this with them. Perhaps they can either offer you a solution, or actually listen and change their app. Otherwise you'll just be wasting resources and battery life trying to get the app to do what it's not meant to do.

Upvote 0
I'm not familiar with the particular apps you're talking about.

I think Gemini apps manager (requires root) will do exactly what you want. Turn on USB debugging in android settings Open Gemini and tap the app of interest to pull up menu...select configure auto RUN. There appears a list of auto Ron conditions for the APp and "on boot" is one. There are other auto run conditions you might uncheck also....but generally those are trickier to understand.

I use this to disable (for example) Google maps from starting on boot. It saves resources including battery. I can still manually launch it when in need it...at which point it remains until next reboot....unless in go into running processes and kill both the app and the service.

It can be a perfectly legitimate and sound thing to do... Don't put it in the same category as indiscriminant use of auto task killer which has been beaten to death on the forums.

To analyze battery use (including things like wake lock) attributable to each app, I recommend Gsam battery monitor. It is much easier to use than Better Battery Stats. I'm not positive results are 100 % accurate in all cases, but it will most likely highlight Very well the apps you should look closer at for battery use.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones