• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Manual method for rooting your BIONIC

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarian
Oct 28, 2009
3rd Rock
androidforums.com
Updated: 23 Sep 2011

I noticed that everyone is using the one click method or Pete's method to root their BIONICs. Well, I prefer manual, and at least one person is having issues using the one click, so, without further ado, here is the manual method.

First off, thanks to MDW for the original post that got me rooted: Root OTA GingerBread!!! And any other Motorola Device for that matter... - background on the bug exploited to give us root access, as linked in this post, can be found at Security Research by Dan Rosenberg

OK, here we go.

Prerequisites:

Procedure:

1. Connect your device to your USB cable, make sure that Charge only mode is set for USB Connection:

Notifications --> USB Notification --> Select Charge only

Manual root 1.jpgmanual root 2.jpgmanual root 3.jpg
  2. From a command prompt on your computer go to the {path}/Android/android-sdk/platform-tools/ folder, where {path} is the location of the Android SDK - it may be Program Files / Program Files (x86) is you downloaded the installer, or it may just be C: / D: / etc if you downloaded the .ZIP only

manual root 4.JPG
  3. Run
    Code:
    adb shell

manual root 5.JPG
  4. Enter the following commands, one by one, into your new shell:

Code:
    mv /data/local/12m /data/local/12m.bak
    ln -s /data /data/local/12m
  5. Reboot the device by sending the command .
    Code:
    exit
    adb reboot
  6. After the phone reboots, enter
    Code:
    adb shell
  7. Enter the following, one line at a time (I recommend that you copy and paste to make sure you do not make any errors - they need to be typed in explicitly)

Code:
    rm /data/local/12m
    mv /data/local/12m.bak /data/local/12m
    mv /data/local.prop /data/local.prop.bak
    echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_netmon_usb=0" >> /data/local.prop
    echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_netmon_ih=0" >> /data/local.prop
    echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_res_core=0" >> /data/local.prop
    echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_res_panic=0" >> /data/local.prop
    echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_all_adb=1" >> /data/local.prop
    echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_all_core=0" >> /data/local.prop
    echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_efem=0" >> /data/local.prop
    echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_bp_log=0" >> /data/local.prop
    echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_ap_mot_log=0" >> /data/local.prop
    echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_gki_log=0" >> /data/local.prop
  8. Reboot the device by sending the command
    Code:
    exit
    adb reboot
  9. After the phone reboots, enter
    Code:
    adb shell

You should now see the # sign instead of the $ after the word targa - this is how you know you are rooted and currently have superuser privileges.

manual root 6.JPG
  10. Extract the contents of the su.zip into this platform-tools folder, or else extract them where you can and note the folder they are in (You can use explorer / other file manager to do this, but just extract, don't do anything else)
  11. Use the following commands: (if you exited / closed your cmd prompt window, you'll need to first run adb shell again before starting below)

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
    exit
    adb push '/home/user/location/su' /system/bin 
    adb shell 
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    reboot

replace '/home/user/location/su' with the full path to the folder where you extracted su.zip - include drive letter and all diretories that are parents[/I]
  12. Once the device boots back up, go to the market and install Superuser
  13. Install either Busybox or Busybox Installer (donation versions are acceptable too).
  14. Open Superuser
  15. When prompted, allow it to update to the latest su binary.
  16. Adjust any settings that you want, then close
  17. Open Busybox (installer)
  18. Install Busybox (I recommend 1.18.x or later, I'm currently using 1.19.x

Thank you sir! In my opinion, EVERYONE that roots should know how to it manually (without a one-click solution). It is the ONLY way to understand what is going on in the background.

While I agree whole-heartedly that everyone should know what's going on ... I've been there / done that so many times, I welcome the 1-click solution with open arms. Of course I wrote scripts to quicken the process with my OG Droid. But I write scripts everyday at work. When I 'play' at home, I don't mind if someone else does some of the grunt work for a change. ;)

And FWIW, I don't think the average Joe learns anything but just typing that code in, or by copying and pasting. A few might pickup something, but not many.

Upvote 0
While I agree whole-heartedly that everyone should know what's going on ... I've been there / done that so many times, I welcome the 1-click solution with open arms. Of course I wrote scripts to quicken the process with my OG Droid. But I write scripts everyday at work. When I 'play' at home, I don't mind if someone else does some of the grunt work for a change. ;)

And FWIW, I don't think the average Joe learns anything but just typing that code in, or by copying and pasting. A few might pickup something, but not many.

Agreed! I too use the one-click method these days as well (having done it manually so many times in the past)... I was just indicating that it really is a good idea to actually know what is going on before you take the plunge on something like rooting and modding when doing it with a $600 device - at least the first time anyway.

Upvote 0

Agreed! I too use the one-click method these days as well (having done it manually so many times in the past)... I was just indicating that it really is a good idea to actually know what is going on before you take the plunge on something like rooting and modding when doing it with a $600 device - at least the first time anyway.

While I'd love to be able to say that manual is the only way, some people are simply not technologically savvy enough to grasp what needs to be done. I've included pictures, and kept the guide to as close to an 8th grade reading level as possible, but I know folks that will not be able to completely comprehend the steps, and others who simply have no patience for this sort of thing.

I'm an old hack - Joe and I are probably very close in age, and while I don't write scripts for a living (or as a part of my job function) right now, I've written more scripts than I can possibly consider counting in a single day. I prefer scripts - Heck, I still write them now and again (like my automated script to download the latest versions of the Firefox and Thunderbird Nightlies, plus 2 specific add-ons that are also built nightly for Thunderbird using a batch file and the native Windows FTP command).

The reason I made the guide, though, is that a lot of other guides assume that just because someone else wants to try the manual method that they are very computer savvy - I know better. I've already tried to help one user who had issues with the method using Pete's tool, and I figured I'd make the guide I used that much better (and thus, more easily readable) by including screenshots, warnings, and anticipating possible pitfalls.

I wish I could just say "here, do this, and it will run" but I'm not patient enough to write up a batch file / .CMD file that will operate with the correct set of parameters to automate the manual process - but then again, this is what the one click method does anyway, so why reinvent the wheel? lol

At any rate, I do appreciate the kind comments. Tehsusenoh has incorporated this and my other 'guide' into his ATR guide stickied at the top (almost verbatim, in fact) so it's here to stay.

Upvote 0
Thank you sir! In my opinion, EVERYONE that roots should know how to it manually (without a one-click solution). It is the ONLY way to understand what is going on in the background.

I agree and thought I would put some links up so some noobs can start to learn.

Here is a good start for anybody wanting to set up sdk and learn some adb.

[ HOW TO ] ADB AND WHY I LOVE ADB commands <3

and a short version without the how to do sdk setup.
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/187820-how-adb-commands.html

Reactions: johnlgalt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones