• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

manual screen rotation app...

bobthebob

Sep 2, 2010
ok - so I'm officially annoyed with the screen rotation on my Droid X.

it always seems to turn itself on precisely when I *don't* want it and refuse to turn on when I *do* want it.

I have been using a little widget called auto-rotate toggle which turns the feature on and off BUT what I really want is to be able to have the option to have screen rotate off UNLESS I MANUALLY ENGAGE IT!

it seems like such a simple thing... I mean a two finger 'spin' gesture could rotate the screen 90

I can't understand why this is not a standard built-in feature.

First time I wanted to rotate a screen I tried a two finger spin gesture as that is the most logical and simple way (to my mind) to do, and I was quite annoyed that it didn't do anything.

If you are writing an app to do it that would be excellent.

Please post if/when you do.

BTW, does anyone know if ICS has this feature?

Upvote 0
I found this thread through a web search. Soon after I found a solution that works great.

Search for "Rotation Locker" in Google Play. It is simple, very little permission and works.

A word of warning. Some applications and games are meant to be played with a certain screen orientation. If it can't change the orientation since the rotation is locked then the screen will be stretched. That can make it difficult to use the app or play the game.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones