• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Saurav

Lurker
Apr 23, 2011
Hi,

I was wondering, is the Map used in Navigation pre-installed or does it use the Google Maps map?
If its pre-installed, what is "Google Navigation" - is that basically the NAVIGATION app on the phone?

Also what is LOCATIONS app for.

If someone could explain to me the difference in the three NAVIGATION, MAPS, LOCATIONS app I would be grateful.

Also, is the world map pre-installed on the phone? This is because I want to use the GPS in other countries on holiday but don't want to pay roaming data charges.
I turned off Data Roaming and WIFI and could still see maps of other countries, does this mean its preinstalled?

Sorry some are silly questions.

Navigation is the paid for HTC navigation service. Location is the check in service attached to it. maps is the free Google navigation service. Forget about the HTC one and use Google its very good. One complaint is the horrible computer generated voice on it but there are some very good paid for voices that can be downloaded from the Market

Upvote 0
Navigation is the paid for HTC navigation service. Location is the check in service attached to it. maps is the free Google navigation service. Forget about the HTC one and use Google its very good. One complaint is the horrible computer generated voice on it but there are some very good paid for voices that can be downloaded from the Market
Ahh. Any idea how I am able to use Navigation without paying for it?
Also do you know if on the Google One (Maps) if the world map is pre-installed? If not, any idea how I can download the map of India? I would like to use my gps there to see where abouts I am when travelling when I go there.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
I am new to Android phone and I had the same questions than Saurav so I am glad of this thread.

Just a question to KenTom: if you do not have Locations would Google Map set up your location? My Maps application, I think is integrated with Locations, or this may just be my impresion as the other day my location app said that I had the wrong map version and could not determined my location and when I tried Maps it did not update my location neither.

On my settings->Locations I have the Integrate Google Navigation clicked so i was thinking that Google Maps determined your location by using Locations. ahhhh am I getting map? I mean mad?

Upvote 0
Good thread this, im going to India in 6 days and was thinking the same thing.

I didn't even know there were 2 different types of Navigation apps on the phone, or i did but only used one so forgot i guess. So there is no way to use it basically without being charged hundreds of pounds.

Also is there a Navigation shortcut that I can put on one of my homescreens that will take me directly to the google one without have to go through google maps first? I've just noticed that the shortcut i have at the moment is going to the HTC navigation app. I can't seem to find it if there is.

Upvote 0
I thought Navigation was part of google maps, which is free to use but requires a data connection ( or WiFi ) to download the maps.

Car panel is the HTC one that you have to pay for but stores the maps on the SD card. I think it also links into Locations.

Or have I got this totally wrong :eek:

That was my take on it too.

Upvote 0
I thought Navigation was part of google maps, which is free to use but requires a data connection ( or WiFi ) to download the maps.

Car panel is the HTC one that you have to pay for but stores the maps on the SD card. I think it also links into Locations.

Or have I got this totally wrong :eek:

The HTC Desire HD video by HTC says the navigation has maps pre-installed (not sure if its just UK or the whole world) because it states "no longer have to wait for maps to download, meaning 0 data downloads"

Upvote 0
Navigation with the blue arrow is the Google app and you can put a short cut on the screen. If you use the paid for speed camera app you can set this to open navigation at the same time so you only need the one app on the screen. I believe HTC Navigation gives you a free trail period, I have never used it because when reading reviews on the Desire before I bought it, the feeling was why had HTC bothered since Google was far superior.

Upvote 0
Navigation with the blue arrow is the Google app and you can put a short cut on the screen. If you use the paid for speed camera app you can set this to open navigation at the same time so you only need the one app on the screen. I believe HTC Navigation gives you a free trail period, I have never used it because when reading reviews on the Desire before I bought it, the feeling was why had HTC bothered since Google was far superior.
So just to confirm, the NAVIGATION with the Blue arrow is the Google app and not the HTC one? I think the map is pre-loaded as I can use it without connecting my phone to the internet or wifi.

Which app is the paid for HTC one?

Upvote 0
My first thought is that is better to pay for a map once and download it while you are at home that relying on the Data or WIFI connection while you are travelling. also when you buying a map you know how much you are paying and it is yours for ever but when data roaming you don't know how much will cost.

Locations has maps pre-loaded depending on the country you bought your phone. Mine has UK, Ireland & France. If you want any extra you need to download them. My idea is that the maps are free but you need to pay for the Navigation which I think is around

Upvote 0
I also understand (hopefully others on here will be better informed), that the Google downloads have improved so its not downloading loads of data all the time. On the couple of occasions I have used Google navigation since getting my phone its been faultless and I have certainly never gone over my data allowance. I love the way when you reach your destination the street view flashes onto the screen (simple things :) )

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones