• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Marshall releases their own phone?

There doesn't seem to be the numerous Nokia knock-offs like there used to be.

Never knew the correct pronunciation for NCKIA.
Nckia_N99_Metal_Shell_Dual_Sim_Card_Touch_Screen_Mobile_Phone.jpg

And I actually had a NOKLA N95 for a few days.
nokla-500x375.jpg

Can just pay some money and be the real thing now. :thumbsupdroid:

Last edited:
Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
@EarlyMon, @Slug, @EarlyMon, @El Presidente, @mikedt. all...

I'm just blown away. 24-bit/192 kHz, a Marshall name plate, for around two C notes (no pun intended, fellow musicians)?

I am just blown away. If Korg has a hand in it, I applaud until my hands are sore.

The core of the last 'real studio' that I had was a Korg D32XD with all the inputs, bells and whistles...

It brings tears to my eyes, because I had to pawn all of my gear years ago just to be able to survive... and, I still ended up homeless...

J've been clean & sober for seven years now. I have the greatest woman that a man could ever want. It took me losing everything I had to end up here.

Now, there's stuff that I learned in this thread that could return me to that world of wonder I lost.

I just learned today that my lady and I will be moving to Colorado by next Spring.

I'm stoked about what
I just learned in this new thread. I'm actually moved to tears.

For those that were there when I started getting root privileges in the days of Gingerbread - you know why I'm moved.

The light at the end of the tunnel surely looks beautiful. My lady grows stronger every day. Thank you to everyone that got me to this thread.

I am so very thrilled, and filled with happiness.

LW :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Actually it's currently saying that if you pre-order online you will get those included (at least for the UK) :)
https://www.marshallheadphones.com/mh_uk_en/london-phone

Edit: and out of interest I checked, and it seems that £399 price is inclusive of VAT.
$200/£179 value for the Monitor headphones - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2419476,00.asp

If you wait and just buy after launch, they include the Mode earbuds, roughly a $50 value - http://headphones.reviewed.com/content/marshall-mode-headphones-review

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
You mean if the camera is by Nokia? Carl Zeus lens (or whatever)
If it were a Zeiss lens it would probably say so, it doesn't in this picture -

REGULAR-SLIDER-1_1740.jpg

Not all Nokias with Zeiss lenses have carried the Zeiss trademark so far as I know - but most have and leaving off the name makes little sense to me.

Again, not sure what you mean by camera by Nokia because that could mean different things to me, sorry if I'm being dense.

The designers and makers are ex-Nokia staff and they've been providing (unknown) services to Nokia.

Credit for the Nokia cameras could range from 0 to 100% for Creoir.
I really don't need this, but I have to admit that there's a significant bit of me that's tempted .
If you listen to music on your phone with decent headphones, I highly recommend a listen to the One M9 if you can't get a chance to try out a One M8 with the HK mod.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There's a heck of a lot of knock-off Marshall headphones and earbuds around now on TaoBao. And unfortunately Alibaba hasn't caught up with the counterfeiters for this brand yet.

Three or four months time will be posts here on AF, things like "I bought this Marshall phone on Ebay, and it's stuck on the start-up logo....HELP!!"

marshall.jpg

BTW I've only posted a screen-shot and not any URLs, because of AF rules about copyright infringement and other illegal things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Marshall Major is discontinued and on close-out now for around $60, about half off or better from retail.

¥470 (Chinese yuan, not Japanese yen) shown for the Marshall Major is about $75.

Sure those are all knock offs?

Not sure what you mean by Alibaba not catching up with the counterfeiters yet.

Do they sell anything honestly?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you listen to music on your phone with decent headphones, I highly recommend a listen to the One M9 if you can't get a chance to try out a One M8 with the HK mod.
My daughter is going to replace her iPhone soon, and the M9 is currently her top candidate. So I'll probably get a chance next month.

Upvote 0
So on TaoBao they're about 150-200 yuan CNY. look up appropriate websites for CNY to USD, for today's exchange rates. Which is probably maximum of $30, in ShenZhen at Seg Electronics Mall maybe cheaper. A friend said to me, "Michael, this is the headphone market.", somewhere in Futian District, but can't quite remember where it was."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@EarlyMon, @Slug, @EarlyMon, @El Presidente, @mikedt. all...

I'm just blown away. 24-bit/192 kHz, a Marshall name plate, for around two C notes (no pun intended, fellow musicians)?

I am just blown away. If Korg has a hand in it, I applaud until my hands are sore.

The core of the last 'real studio' that I had was a Korg D32XD with all the inputs, bells and whistles...

It brings tears to my eyes, because I had to pawn all of my gear years ago just to be able to survive... and, I still ended up homeless...

The light at the end of the tunnel surely looks beautiful. My lady grows stronger every day. Thank you to everyone that got me to this thread.

LW :)

A few things here:
1. You guys are awesome and crack me up. It's hard to make me smile when I get up but you guys Rock! Especially you, @funkylogik.
2. IF Korg does have their hand in this phone, I feel that EarlyMon may be correct about making everyone scramble to get their crap together. I'm a Korg fan/user myself and they've become the gold star of music products. IMHO - It's really hard to beat Korg products. Their Tuners & Flangers are phenomenal. I'm actually excited that this phone may show everyone else the software weaknesses in common design flaws for everyday sound quality.
3. @LOveWerks - I've been there (homeless), really and truly. But I was living in the woods in a tent with a family of 5.. "You don't "F" with a boy scout!" Lmao. Really. That's why I sold all my equipment too.. And yes, it hurts. Badly. I'm hoping that we see more devices with exceptional construction & software. I haven't see a device looking that sturdy since the Motorola i1.. That thing was military specs & water resistant before Kyocera jumped on the scene. Hopefully it also won't be too long before we are able to get studio quality sound recording capabilities & mixing right from our phones/tablets instead of dragging around rack unit. TBH, I was laughing at the Marshall phone at first but now I feel.. a bit more educated. [emoji12] That's the point of these forums tho and I'm grateful for it.

Upvote 0
Lmao why thank you bcrichster :)
And :p Clementine..
@EarlyMon by made by Nokia i think I meant whoever make the sensors for Nokia.

Umm can't remember who else I wanted to reply to Lol. This thread moves very quickly. Obviously a LOT of interest in this phone and I'm looking forward to the reviews.
Oh yeah, Korg.... Their "groovebox" type analogue synth/sequencers and drum machines are apparently excellent. Wish I could afford one n get back into the techno production :thumbsupdroid:

Oh yeah @Hadron 400 notes seems like the perfect price and I'd defo be interested if I wasn't a bum :D

Upvote 0
Hmm, Wolfson DAC - rather outdated. Wolfson was acquired by Cirrus Logic last year, and the rest is history. Used to be high end a few years back, implemented in some smartphones and digital audio players (DAPs).

My opinion, this (Marshall) phone will sell as a "collectible" item. Audiophiles buy dedicated DAPs or quality OTG usb DACs. For general public, something like Note 4 already has an excellent sound quality. Plus, you can get decent BT4.0 headphones w/apt-X codec support (B&W P5 wireless, Senns Momentum 2 Wireless, Meelectronics Matrix 2, Pendulumic Stance S1+, etc.).

If you want top of the line phone with a serious audio performance spec, get Mi Note Pro: http://www.mi.com/en/minote/hifi/ - now, that's what I call an audiophile spec ;)

Upvote 0
Hmm, Wolfson DAC - rather outdated. Wolfson was acquired by Cirrus Logic last year, and the rest is history. Used to be high end a few years back, implemented in some smartphones and digital audio players (DAPs).

My opinion, this (Marshall) phone will sell as a "collectible" item. Audiophiles buy dedicated DAPs or quality OTG usb DACs. For general public, something like Note 4 already has an excellent sound quality. Plus, you can get decent BT4.0 headphones w/apt-X codec support (B&W P5 wireless, Senns Momentum 2 Wireless, Meelectronics Matrix 2, Pendulumic Stance S1+, etc.).

If you want top of the line phone with a serious audio performance spec, get Mi Note Pro: http://www.mi.com/en/minote/hifi/ - now, that's what I call an audiophile spec ;)

Vivo does a couple of phones as well using the same ESS audio as the Xiaomi. I think a few other Chinese phones do as well, with the emphasis on good audio. Keep on seeing Vivo's ads on all the buses..."VIVO, Hi-Fi and Smart". But this is China phones of course, which often means you might have order on-line and import them from Hong Kong, and any problems and warranty issues, you have to ship them back to Hong Kong. Other thing with a Xiaomi, you've got MIUI, which IMO is something you either love or hate. And others frequently have their own highly customized and modified versions of Android as well.

I should imagine Marshall is going to be selling the London via their existing dealer networks, in whichever countries it's going to be available in.

Frankly the Marshall phone has excited me and find it very interesting. Things like Xiaomi, Vivo, Oppo, not so much, I see the things every day. :thumbsupdroid: ...don't think I'll be buying the London though, still happy with the Oppo F7. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

As ESS chip is top of the line and the Wolfson is just derivative tech?

I'm sorry, I genuinely don't get the joke ok.

And fwiw, yes, Samsung is incorporating Wolfson tech under license.

And the Marshall supports Bluetooth 4.1 BLE and aptX.

If the Mi Note is better, it's because of the amplifiers - something that we haven't heard about with the London.

As for the Mi Note Pro being the better phone - don't you think it might be a good idea to hear the Marshall first before you pass judgment and relegate it to the collectibles bin? :D

Upvote 0
Lol Well I can't comment on all this audiophile stuff.
My "hifi" consists of an old Acoustic Solutions amp, pair of OLD technics speakers, and youtube via a headphone jack to the amp since I lost ALL my cds in a home move :(
Sounds good enough to me though and is definitely LOUD :D
1437363059237.jpg

Sorry forgot to wipe the camera lens lol. And I KNOW my speakers should be further apart but it's aesthetics ok :D

Also. I bought a "nice" set of earbuds (rf3 or something?) which lasted a week! So I use old Samsung ones now.
Used to have a lovely pair of stenheiser buds but they got stolen at a party.

Sorry bit OT guys ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I can see the ad for the London now ... Camera pans across stadium filled with concertgoers rocking out to some popular tune. Pan stops at a stage loaded with Marshall stacks, fog, light show etc. but no band. Zoom in on the cable plugged into the mixer and follow it to the geek backstage with the London. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones