• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root MD5 sum mismatch! Help!

Jarpee

Apr 17, 2010
Tennessee
So just tried to flash a rom and I had two previous nan backups, I did another nan just before I tried to flash. The flashing process did not work (see my other thread below), but now when I try to restore It says MD5 sum mismatch, on all 3 of the backups!!! I did not change any names and they do not work. I then tried changing all names of the backup files to simple lowercase letters such as stock, and stocklou, but still get the MD5 mismatch. I have no clue why I am having so much trouble trying to flash/recover anything.... PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!

I was on stock ROM with Heyitslou8 kernel. I don't have the zip, I just had 3 backups that I thought were good enough..... But after I get the MD5 sum mismatch I hit reboot and stock ROM boots so all is not lost, but why the heck am I getting that error? I literally made a backup 5 mins before I tried to restore it and I got the mismatch error.

Upvote 0
Are the backups made with the same version of recovery? Also make sure you have plenty of room on the sd card, nandroids take up a lot of space.
There are stock roms floating around that you can flash. I believe "medion" has one on xda, called "nuthing special". It's exactly like stock but without the bloatware.(you can manually download any of the bloatware from the market if you used it)

Upvote 0
So you cannot change the name of the file at all? I read somewhere that as long as you use lowercased letters and no spaces that you can change it no problem. Still I tried the most recent backup WITHOUT changing the name and it still didn't work.

I also cannot flash CWM 3.0xxxx. I keep the file name as PB31IMG.zip, but hboot won't recognize it. I have hboot .92. I guess I'm just cursed.

Upvote 0
So you cannot change the name of the file at all? I read somewhere that as long as you use lowercased letters and no spaces that you can change it no problem. Still I tried the most recent backup WITHOUT changing the name and it still didn't work.

I also cannot flash CWM 3.0xxxx. I keep the file name as PB31IMG.zip, but hboot won't recognize it. I have hboot .92. I guess I'm just cursed.

If hboot won't recognize the file it can only mean 3 things:
1) the file is corrupt: redownload, check md5 sums
2) the file is named incorrectly/ not on the root of the sd card
3) the sd card is not formatted correctly(fat32) or is in some way corrupted: try another card.

Upvote 0
Ok, the file is named correctly, and I have tried redownloading but no different. Does it matter if I format it on the computer or phone? Will formatting on the phone be fat32?

And how can I check the md5 sums? I'm not really clear what that means either... haha. Sorry, i'm new at all this.....

Upvote 0
Format it to fat32 however you can, most reliable way is with a sd card reader or a computer with an sd card slot, if using windows don't do a quick format. Formatting through the phone with the drive mounted will work though.

There is an app in the market called "mand5" that will check the md5. Md5's are used to make sure a file isn't corrupt. Wherever you are downloading the file from should show the file's md5. That number should match exactly with the number you get from the mand5 app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones