• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Media player widget?

Infinite-t

Android Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2010
OK, maybe I'm missing something, but is there a way to put a media/music player widget on your home screen? I have looked around a bit and haven't figured it out. Or is "there an app. For that?
It would be awesome to have media controls as well as a little read out on what's playing.

Any ideas?

Though probably not what you are thinking, there is a lock screen widget for the music player.

Go to the music and start a song playing. Press the right-side button to turn off the screen. Press it again to see the lock screen. There is a half-cd at the top with album art. You can pull it down for controls and an informational scrolling banner.

Ugly purple that I don't know how to change, though.

Upvote 0
Stock music player has playback controls in notification bar which makes it easier to access than home screen. If you are in a app, pull down notification bar, change song, push it back up and I am back to my app. If I am on a lock screen, then as previous post explained, there is a music control widget right on the lock screen already. Only time a home screen widget will be useful is if
1) phone is unlocked AND
2) home screen is displayed AND
3) music widget is present on the current active home screen

Otherwise notification bar controls need equal or less taps/swipes in all other cases.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones