• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

media server draining battery???

this is something new. I just looked at my phone and the battery is down to 84%. I've been off the charger for nearly 5 hours already, but I've barely used it. I turn it off and turn it on every morning, and I don't have any new apps or anything weird that should be causing my phone to be awake the whole time because of the "media server." my phone is saying there are no active applications. I don't have any sports alerts, email alerts, streaming music, etc going on. what could be causing this?

That's like the catalog of the device. Matches photos with songs files, lists your music that sort of thing. If you stick a SD card in it thats the service that indexes what's on it and displays it so you can use it. Very important service.

There has been a post that Media Server was so frustrated in its attempts to do the above that it went slightly berserk and IIRC, it caused excessive battery drain.

The SD Card can cause problems if it is either corrupted, or it has a corrupted file or even if it is simply too full. Hence un-mount the SD card, remove it and restart the phone. Check if the situation has improved before re-inserting the card. Incidentally, there are some reports on the this forum that SD cards have been damaged by doing the upgrade from ICS to JB.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones