• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Medic Alert / Medic ID

Jon8RFC

Mar 18, 2010
I only found one application for such a purpose, but it has a poor rating. I also suspect that it isn't accessible when the phone is locked. My LG Dare had an ICE (in case of emergency) button even when the phone was locked and I could list a few pages of medical history, medications, contact information, etc.

Does something exist, or does anyone know if it's possible to make an application that can have interactive function while the phone is locked. I had one instance where I said "I have ICE on my phone", and my phone was locked, but the EMTs were still able to check all my information before making any moves on how to treat me.

Is this something that's better to petition to Google itself as a standard feature? I'll be getting a medic id tag since my Droid doesn't support this and I can't find a suitable application, but I'd still like it for ease of information retrieval in the moment so they don't have to pull out their computers and connect to the internet to enter my ID number and get the info.

Any tips will be appreciated, including a tip to successfully petition the Google Android team to natively support such a feature on a locked phone, as they support 911 calls.

I knew, all the celphones have their 911 numbers. Even if your phone is locked, you can dial 911 as fast as you want in case of emergency. That's what I've done when my brother had been bitten by a snake.

There are people who still need to have specific information about themselves shown somewhere. Like that you need this and this medicine when you get sick and without it you will simply die. That is what these apps are useful for.

Upvote 0

Thanks for the heads up man, it's a pretty nice app.

I now have an extra swipe to contend with when I unlock my phone but I think it's worth it. I wonder if there can be an easy widget that you can click on and off for times when your home, etc.:thinking: I suppose it's worth keeping it on just incase you forget to turn it on.

I seem to only desire the ICE info app when I go mountain biking alone and what not but I guess you never know when it might be needed.;)

Upvote 0
There are people who still need to have specific information about themselves shown somewhere. Like that you need this and this medicine when you get sick and without it you will simply die. That is what these apps are useful for.

While this may be true, paramedics will not rifle through your pockets looking for ID or phones et cetera.
They will check for Medical IDs since they are an accepted way to communicate needed information.

Upvote 0
While this may be true, paramedics will not rifle through your pockets looking for ID or phones et cetera.
They will check for Medical IDs since they are an accepted way to communicate needed information.

That is not always true...as a medic, I can assure you that we have upon occasion rifled through assets to find pertinent information to take care of a patient who was unable to give that information. ICE is a great app to help and it does help save lives when the vital information is there in addition to a medic alert i.d

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones