• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Medical Apps

docp

Apr 29, 2010
I'm going to be a PGY1 starting in July 2011 and I'm trying to get some good medical apps. I transferred my license to Unbound Medicine's Medicine Central to android from winmo (includes 5-Minute Consult, A-Z Drug Facts and a few other programs).

I also have Epocrates because sometimes I just can't find what I'm looking for in A-Z. I have MediCalc which is okay but isn't the best for medical calculations. Does anyone recommend anything else?

What specialty are you trying to enter?

I think you've got pretty much all of the main ones, I'm not a doctor, but I've been helping my wife set her phone up (she's an Internal Medicine PGY-3). She pretty much only uses Epocrates at this point, and only rarely. If I'm doing the math right, you're a 3rd year right now, but by the end of your 4th year, you should have a knowledge base where you're not depending on these as much, and after a few months of your intern year, you'll rarely need to call on them.

Upvote 0
I use Skyscape frequently in the ER. I've got OCM, ABX Guide and Emergency Medicine Manual. My favorite is the free one, OCM. It's really excellent and comprehensive. I used to pay about $100 a year for it before the Android freebie. Epocrates is also a superb interface and I use it daily. Particularly good for checking interactions.

Reactions: ajamudc
Upvote 0
I am heading into my third year of medical school and have been trying to diversify my apps before hitting the wards (so I haven't tried any of these in a clinical setting yet). My findings on Android thus far:

Free:
Epocrates (which is free, but in beta and only available on android 1.6 or higher)
Skyscape: this has drugs, medical calculators for about everything and a fairly decent database on disease (its no Harrison's or Robbins, but its pretty good for a quick reference).
PubMed: abstracts for primary lit that link to the pub med site with access dependent upon what access you have
Medical Spanish: will actually state common questions and statements aloud with written spanish that can be read
Relief Center
Advanced Eye Charts
CPR
Medicinal herbs (not much detail at all, but may give you a start to go off if a patient is rather vague).
and I also grabbed a scientific calculator

Low price (which I haven't purchased yet, but intrigued me):
Diagnosaurus ($1) (i have used the online version of this and it is good for expanding a ddx)
EKG droid
progress Notes

Then there are all sort of subscriptions with a high price tag to various references and books that can be purchased: classics like the Red Book, Washington Manual, 5 Minute Consult, Harrison's, etc. I am waiting on these until I know what I will need once I hit the wards.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones