• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Memory Degrades with Battery Drainage?

matpal

Jun 10, 2010
Something I have noticed - both with and without using an app killer is that when my battery is fully charged, I will have above 180mg of memory available at all times. But as the battery's charge starts to drain down around 50%, my available memory also gets smaller and smaller, despite how many or how little apps are being run.

Has anyone else noticed this and what is preventing it or what wold a fix be?

Something I have noticed - both with and without using an app killer is that when my battery is fully charged, I will have above 180mg of memory available at all times. But as the battery's charge starts to drain down around 50%, my available memory also gets smaller and smaller, despite how many or how little apps are being run.

Has anyone else noticed this and what is preventing it or what wold a fix be?

You're right, but you have cause and effect backwards.

As more apps load and do more background things, your free memory decreases. At that point, your phone's CPU starts running faster (it's not a constant-speed CPU for lots of _good_ reasons).

As the CPU runs faster, it draws more power - and so you see your battery draining.

You might consider my tips here, as well as others' great management tips on this forum:

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/102336-real-app-startup-control.html

PS - I note you say, despite how many or how little apps are being run. - Please note that not all app controls or reporters are created equally.

Your internet browsing app, for example, will tend to grow in memory size as it runs.

Reactions: matpal
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones