• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Merit] Complete ZTE Merit Guide: Root, Flash Recovery and Install New ROM (with links)

For notifications that is adjusted at the text screen.

Hieuster
You don't have to root the phone to swop SIM cards. The phones are not locked to a network. All you have to do is put the SIM card in & setup your APN settings for it. The best way is to get on WiFi & get the Tweaker app. It will do the rest for you.

Upvote 0
For notifications that is adjusted at the text screen.

Hieuster
You don't have to root the phone to swop SIM cards. The phones are not locked to a network. All you have to do is put the SIM card in & setup your APN settings for it. The best way is to get on WiFi & get the Tweaker app. It will do the rest for you.

I tried, but on the lock screen it says "Phone is SIM Service Provider locked." When I unlock the screen it's just a black screen that says "SIM invalid" and a button for "Emergency call." I don't know what to do. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Is this a ST or Net10 phone? Who's SIM are you trying to use?

I just went & got a Net10 phone yesterday, put a ST SIM in it, & set up the correct APN. From the home screen push menu go to System settings/Wirless & Networks/Mobile Networks/Access Point Names/ then push menu. Select New APN & enter the new APN settings.

Did you try Tweaker?

Upvote 0
Is this a ST or Net10 phone? Who's SIM are you trying to use?

I just went & got a Net10 phone yesterday, put a ST SIM in it, & set up the correct APN. From the home screen push menu go to System settings/Wirless & Networks/Mobile Networks/Access Point Names/ then push menu. Select New APN & enter the new APN settings.

Did you try Tweaker?

Is this a AT&T phone?

I don't know if it's a ST or Net10. I believe it is an AT&T phone. I want to use a T-Mobile sim card for it, but it's not working. When I put the T-Mobile sim card in, it doesn't give me an option of going into the home screen to update the APN, therefore I can't access the Tweaker app. It's just a black screen that says invalid SIM.

Upvote 0
Don't sweat it jcase when she re posted this the steps got all screwed up. Your original method was concise and clear. This repost has caused a lot of issues for people. Keep up the good work man and thanks again for allowing us root on these low end phones. All your hard work helped me out emmensily!

I'm not stressing I just get irritated, but at least she linked back. Half of the reposts don't link or mention, and some ask for donations.

Always willing to hit a device without root, doesnt matter if low end or not. Just ask

Reactions: stayboogy
Upvote 0
I'm not stressing I just get irritated, but at least she linked back. Half of the reposts don't link or mention, and some ask for donations.

Always willing to hit a device without root, doesnt matter if low end or not. Just ask

Yeah it's hard to control what other people do. Giving proper credit is just a matter of common courtesy, which a lot of people tend to lack it would seem. That's alright though, the people that really appreciate root on the avail/merit all know that you posted the original.

Upvote 0

yeah, we know you're the man jcase!!!! if it wasn't for you none of this other stuff would be possible.

this thread should have been shut down a long time ago. if you look many posts back i've mentioned this more than once. it was a waste of time, especially all the people who couldn't follow her directions.

and why they wanted to follow hers instead of yours i have no idea. i was rooted in less than 5 minutes following your directions and i didn't have one problem. but of course, i do know how to tie my shoes too LOL

Upvote 0
Moderator edit:

Please reference jcase's thread here:

for information about rooting your ZTE Merit.
I dont understand why all the step by steps was removed from here?
This thread was the only one I could understand and get to work for me and the link in the quote is only for rooting not flashing the custom rom you could have at least gave a link to a descent flash rom tut or even left the parts of this tut for flashing rom alone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones