• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Messages freezing/crashing before AND after rooting

So I was using Handcent for a while, but it just started getting WAY too sluggish, so I ditched it a few days ago.

I've been using the stock "Messages" app since then with minimal sluggishness, but then last night, it just... freezes. After a few minutes (if I'm lucky), it'll come back asking me if I want to Force Quit or Wait. If I force quit and try to re-open, it does the same thing; if I wait, it never loads anyway.

So I call Sprint, they have me power off, they send some updates, the updates install, and it works again. Yay.

I wanted to get this fixed 1. because it was annoying as hell and 2. because I wanted to root the phone and I read that it's not good to root if your phone is having any problems.

So I root it using unrevoked3, all goes well, I create a nand backup, etc. Messages is still working.

Now (a few hours after rooting), Messages is pulling the same crap again.

What the hell happened?!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones