• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Metro PCS - Major Changes

EarlyMon

The PearlyMon
Jun 10, 2010
New Mexico, USA
Hey!

So a very popular thread with ongoing discussions has been removed from public view to protect one of our members and to help in general.

I'll try to sort out what's possible to move over here from that.

Meanwhile, please continue your discussions here as if nothing has happened.

Please expect no further insider information and please don't ask for any (if you know who I mean, please don't ask them, if you're new to this and want to know who I'm talking about, learn to live with disappointment ok).

Let's keep it no-drama here yeah?

If you have questions about this, please drop me a line. Don't discuss it here.

Public speculations, complaints and anything else about your right to insider information will be cheerfully deleted - that's in everyone's interest, not mine ok.

What is the reason for this? The information was very useful, was it by request from the OP or from Metro?
If you have questions about this, please drop me a line. Don't discuss it here.
I don't know what part of that was unclear to you. :thinking:

Tap my name, choose to Start a Conversation - hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Okay, keep calm and carry on.
One topic being discussed was the end of the life phones.
I'll bite.
I can't believe no decent LTE phones like Avant, at $69 / $99...not even at $149.
Hope this trend does not signal permanence.
I personally don't want to pay the price of a computer for a tablet, much less a phone...to boot
a phone that not only is not top of the line, but suffers some annoyance.
An annoyance is either, when a maker has been releasing their phones with certain features- now somehow left out for Metro(significant android version, Nfc, IR, fm radio, LTE band, unlocked bootloader, etc.), and/or the hardware/software/OS supports something that is missing or disabled.

This is especially important to those on the unlimited promo, who are not allowed to use a non- Metro phone.

Upvote 0
Any news of any upcoming phones maybe?
Bump.
I'm waiting on this too.
Things I will NOT accept:
no nfc
no wireless screen cast( any format which doesn't require router will do)
under 4.5" screen
under 1.5 gb ram
under 32gb storage
no SD slot
locked bootloader
no lollipop
no band 12
under 5 mp & 1080

Things I hope for:
'm radio
Ir blaster
64 bit enabled...this I believe a hindrance at present...for curiosity's sake.

Upvote 0
What I noticed that a well run independent store where the guy seems to know his stuff, he has low inventory. Hopefully, that means he choose to not stock much of the current stuff, because he know that better phones are in the pipeline.

I was thinking of switching from my galaxy light and getting the lg leon, but I held myself back in hopes of something better since most of the phones are end of life

Upvote 0
I was thinking of switching from my galaxy light and getting the lg leon, but I held myself back in hopes of something better since most of the phones are end of life
What is your roadblock to getting a BYOD phone? I have been incredibly happy since going that route. The Moto E works great for my mom and the OPO is amazing for my wife and I. Low price phone (in terms of specs), amazing, maybe unparalleled development and of course, with Metro, great plan/service.

Reactions: alfick3
Upvote 0
What is your roadblock to getting a BYOD phone? I have been incredibly happy since going that route. The Moto E works great for my mom and the OPO is amazing for my wife and I. Low price phone (in terms of specs), amazing, maybe unparalleled development and of course, with Metro, great plan/service.
Absolutely the truth! I'm using the 1st gen Moto G on Metro and love it. After having the LG Optimus M+, LG Motion (and with Metro part of T-Mobile) I decided I never wanted a locked down phone again.

Upvote 0
What I noticed that a well run independent store where the guy seems to know his stuff, he has low inventory. Hopefully, that means he choose to not stock much of the current stuff, because he know that better phones are in the pipeline.
I don't remember seeing such a small phone selection since the days of one top phone at a time...the recent decommissioning timing seems odd...

Reactions: xybyrgy and today
Upvote 0
Forum multi quote buggy.

Yeah, galaxy light to Leon is not an upgrade- but a sideways move.
I would consider searching for an Avant...I heartily recommend it...kitkat is the only minus.
Or wait...I have the Stylo and like it- but that's too much to spend on a phone...
My hands were tied on the unlimited promo after losing phone-
not allowed BYOD.

Almost everyone on the unlimited promo is likely praying for cheaper and/or a major promo discount on the Stylo.

Upvote 0
Well I'm on the promotional unlimited 4g lte plan so that's why I haven't bought a device else where, as far as I know the promo only worked for metro branded phones

Upvote 0
Forum multi quote buggy.

Yeah, galaxy light to Leon is not an upgrade- but a sideways move.
I would consider searching for an Avant...I heartily recommend it...kitkat is the only minus.
Or wait...I have the Stylo and like it- but that's too much to spend on a phone...
My hands were tied on the unlimited promo after losing phone-
not allowed BYOD.

Almost everyone on the unlimited promo is likely praying for cheaper and/or a major promo discount on the Stylo.
I would definitely like to see a price drop on the stylo as that seems like one of the better phones out right now for an "ok" price

Upvote 0
I would but I honestly don't see myself paying over 200$ dollars for a phone
Yep. For me Ditto goes for other purchases...at whatever the stated price I can't buy a peach for the price of 2-3 apples, etc.
Plus the combo of higher price & phablet size kinda takes over your life:
changes from what you wear to what places / persons you avoid to placing a permanent extra subconscious worry in your mind.

Upvote 0
I would definitely like to see a price drop on the stylo as that seems like one of the better phones out right now for an "ok" price
Starting from highest(thus not knowing when/if price would go lower)- what $# would tempt you to run to the store for a Stylo? AND let's not forget one thing: the locked bootloader...someone reported that subsequent phone batches will arrive with 5.1.1 n locked bootloader.
$199
$69

Upvote 0
I'm waiting on this too.
Things I will NOT accept:

no wireless screen cast( any format which doesn't require router will do)

no lollipop

There's three ways to screen cast - Miracast and Google Cast (the latter is best known by and used with Chromecast) - or - to Apple TV (and I'm not interested enough to learn the protocol name or how it works).

Leaving aside Apple TV, Chromecast requires a router, so that leaves Miracast.

Miracast uses wifi direct (peer to peer).

And it was baked in to Android beginning with Jellybean 4.2 - but - it's being replaced on a lot of phones starting with Lollipop with Google Cast (in fact, I think that Miracast has been deprecated altogether by Google).

It's likely that you'll need an app to use Miracast. Check out "Mirror Beta"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.mirror

Or search the Play Store for Miracast.

Miracast vs Chromecast -

http://allaboutchromecast.com/chrom...-about-wireless-display-and-screen-mirroring/

What you really want to watch out for -

http://allaboutmotog.com/moto-g-wireless-display-the-problem-and-the-solution/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones