• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MetroPCS Galaxy S5

Woah wait, whats all this bashing on flagship phones?

What in the world are you talking about?

Are you even talking about THIS thread? (even though YOU actually started the thread)

Flagship bashing? There hasn't been any flapship bashing anywhere but in your got to have one head.

Dee asked a valid flagshippish question re; how well, in Real Life use, they match up to the CURRENT mid-range devices. There are several people who are just as familiar with current phones as You Are who agree that the Real World Differences between a Flagship and a Good Mid-range just aren't REALLY worth the massive $ differences.

That's not bashing a damn thing. It's FACT stating. Just because YOU Have to Have a FS device and disagree doesn't change the facts. :rolleyes:

You massively over reacted to what was actually said. And, coming from me, the over reaction part MEANS something. ;)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Upvote 0
Seeing as i was one of the ones "bashing" flagships i guess ill explain. if someone handed me a note 3 and said here have it of course i would take it, if someone handed me 800 bucks and said pick out any phone youd like i wouldnt go for it, or teh s4/s5. in years gone by flagships were needed to be able to at least enjoy android, back on my htc hero (which was htc's flagship on sprint for a while) android 1.6 was TERRIBLE. luckily since then leaps and bounds have been made, i no longer need to overclock a device massively and enable every possible trick to try and break 500 on quadrant.

as android has matured so has the optimzations and hardware. i consider quad core, 1080p, 2gb of ram, 32GB of storage to be what would take to be an amazing device and have no issues with. android gaming has become stagnant, there arent nearly as many games pushing the hardware we have to the limits. the s4 had a PPI of over 400, far too high to be noticable by any humans naked eye why do you need a better screen in there when all its going to do is tax the gpu more and cause more drainage on yoru battery?

i used to have flipphones that could sit and require no charging for 3-4 days, now with android people are excited if it makes the whole day with usage. i want OEMs to focus on that, not how many cores, geebees or wyfyes they can fit in there. every year technology makes massive improvments, they could take a phone that had a snapdragon 600 cpu and shrink it down to probably at least 75% of what it used to be if they tried which would open up space for a larger battery. samsung could really knock it out of teh park if they had some of teh graphene batteries that are supposed to be like 3-4x better than regular ones in teh same size.

so as someone who has owned the SGS1, SGS2, SGS3, SGS4, photon 4g, photon q, evo 3d, desire z, lg optimus g, galaxy nexus, xperia z, and now a samsung galaxy light. i think ive earned my right to say flagships are nice and have their place, but i dont think ill ever consider dropping the money on one. not in this day and age when midrange devices no longer suck and even budget phones are decent.

the s5 is a decent upgrade for anyone coming from the s3, however because of how little a change from teh s4 it is most will eithe rwait to see if teh premium samsung device rumor is real or find another choice elsewhere. you posted a thread asking whats everyones excitment about the s5, people responded with how they felt. no one is saying someone should buy it, just that there are more options and its best to consider them all.

Upvote 0
When I look on eBay and see the atrix HD and RAZR HD the RAZR is always more expensive I wonder why is the .2 inch samoled screen vs the color boost justify the change? Is it the NFC of the RAZR or 8 extra gbs of on board storage. But all of that makes it a phone worth double the price?

samoled is a nice difference. honestly there is NOTHING that can replicate it properly. but which razr hd are you talking about? isnt there an international model as well as verizon?

Upvote 0
Seeing as i was one of the ones "bashing" flagships i guess ill explain. if someone handed me a note 3 and said here have it of course i would take it, if someone handed me 800 bucks and said pick out any phone youd like i wouldnt go for it, or teh s4/s5. in years gone by flagships were needed to be able to at least enjoy android, back on my htc hero (which was htc's flagship on sprint for a while) android 1.6 was TERRIBLE. luckily since then leaps and bounds have been made, i no longer need to overclock a device massively and enable every possible trick to try and break 500 on quadrant.

as android has matured so has the optimzations and hardware. i consider quad core, 1080p, 2gb of ram, 32GB of storage to be what would take to be an amazing device and have no issues with. android gaming has become stagnant, there arent nearly as many games pushing the hardware we have to the limits. the s4 had a PPI of over 400, far too high to be noticable by any humans naked eye why do you need a better screen in there when all its going to do is tax the gpu more and cause more drainage on yoru battery?

i used to have flipphones that could sit and require no charging for 3-4 days, now with android people are excited if it makes the whole day with usage. i want OEMs to focus on that, not how many cores, geebees or wyfyes they can fit in there. every year technology makes massive improvments, they could take a phone that had a snapdragon 600 cpu and shrink it down to probably at least 75% of what it used to be if they tried which would open up space for a larger battery. samsung could really knock it out of teh park if they had some of teh graphene batteries that are supposed to be like 3-4x better than regular ones in teh same size.

so as someone who has owned the SGS1, SGS2, SGS3, SGS4, photon 4g, photon q, evo 3d, desire z, lg optimus g, galaxy nexus, xperia z, and now a samsung galaxy light. i think ive earned my right to say flagships are nice and have their place, but i dont think ill ever consider dropping the money on one. not in this day and age when midrange devices no longer suck and even budget phones are decent.

the s5 is a decent upgrade for anyone coming from the s3, however because of how little a change from teh s4 it is most will eithe rwait to see if teh premium samsung device rumor is real or find another choice elsewhere. you posted a thread asking whats everyones excitment about the s5, people responded with how they felt. no one is saying someone should buy it, just that there are more options and its best to consider them all.

While i agree with you on this the one thing you seem to leave out is os upgrades. Oem's as a whole only seem intent on upgrading there flagship models nowadays. Yea you can root and rom but for some really decent midrange devices there is a very limited developer community. Plus there is the group of people who just wont root because of warranty and messing up there phone concerns. Some very nice midrange and even low end devices that are more than capable of running kit kat smoothly are forever stuck on 4.1.2 or even worse some wont make it past ics just because they werent flagship models.

Upvote 0
While i agree with you on this the one thing you seem to leave out is os upgrades. Oem's as a whole only seem intent on upgrading there flagship models nowadays. Yea you can root and rom but for some really decent midrange devices there is a very limited developer community. Plus there is the group of people who just wont root because of warranty and messing up there phone concerns. Some very nice midrange and even low end devices that are more than capable of running kit kat smoothly are forever stuck on 4.1.2 or even worse some wont make it past ics just because they werent flagship models.

I am someone who roots as soon as I can OEM skins don't hold sway with me. I came here close to a year ago because I wanted more than What my phone was willing to give. So being here taught me how to put a gun to it and make it hand it over. Flagship aren't promised anymore than low end and mid range. Oem are too busy pushing 800 different devices for everyone in every market to even care. So you can scratch that off the list of the flagship advantage. Which brings me to this question nowadays what makes a flagship a flagship. Is it the name or the spec what makes it a flagship?

Upvote 0
I am someone who roots as soon as I can OEM skins don't hold sway with me. I came here close to a year ago because I wanted more than What my phone was willing to give. So being here taught me how to put a gun to it and make it hand it over. Flagship aren't promised anymore than low end and mid range. Oem are too busy pushing 800 different devices for everyone in every market to even care. So you can scratch that off the list of the flagship advantage. Which brings me to this question nowadays what makes a flagship a flagship. Is it the name or the spec what makes it a flagship?

Flagship is the most important of a series. So that's the one that they launch a new one every year, have the largest releases, spend the most ad money on and also the 1st ones they give most of the updates

Upvote 0
Flagship is the most important of a series. So that's the one that they launch a new one every year, have the largest releases, spend the most ad money on and also the 1st ones they give most of the updates

If that is all it is. Is the moto x the flagship or the moto g? Or the droids was the evo the flagship or the one . is it still a flagship if its slightly less on a different carrier who decided its the flagship the OEM the customers or the carriers the line is blurry when it comes to me

Upvote 0
The other thing you have to remember is the community that comes along with a flagship.

The s2 and s3 still have extremely strong dev communities.

With the tmobile merger I ALMOST bought the s4 but i decided to get the s3 for the cheaper price and to this point i've been super happy and currently running a 4.4.2 rom on my phone absolutely beautiful and incredible battery life thanks to the devs out there.

But again to takes Shabby point, if someone handed me $800 dollars and said buy any phone I want, I'd go and get a Nexus 5 because it is hands down the best value on the market period.

Upvote 0
The other thing you have to remember is the community that comes along with a flagship.

The s2 and s3 still have extremely strong dev communities.

With the tmobile merger I ALMOST bought the s4 but i decided to get the s3 for the cheaper price and to this point i've been super happy and currently running a 4.4.2 rom on my phone absolutely beautiful and incredible battery life thanks to the devs out there.

But again to takes Shabby point, if someone handed me $800 dollars and said buy any phone I want, I'd go and get a Nexus 5 because it is hands down the best value on the market period.

I would go Google play edition z ultra

Upvote 0
If that is all it is. Is the moto x the flagship or the moto g? Or the droids was the evo the flagship or the one . is it still a flagship if its slightly less on a different carrier who decided its the flagship the OEM the customers or the carriers the line is blurry when it comes to me

Both the Moto X and Moto G can be a flagship just like the S5 is a flagship along with the Note 3. The HTC flagship for 2013 was definitely the HTC One.

Upvote 0

All depends on the model. sometimes the specs reveal a lot about possible upgrades. the boost rush got an upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1.2 and it has an old old single core. my samsung galaxy light is specwise the international s3, and has been confirmed for a 4.2 to 4.4 upgrade. probably wont go any higher than that, but for 150 bucks im getting money's worth.

the important lesson is to shop around and look at stuff. there is no dev community for my device, but im making one :p. if you absolutley must have a device the day it comes out then you run the risk of slow development. the galaxy nexus and nexus s 4g on sprint both took around 8 months to develop strong dev community. so if development is a big deal wait and see, the moto g isnt a big flagship but it has a dev community. it was a big issue on metropcs cdma before, people would buy crap phone slike the lightray or the admire 4g and expect there to be developers buying the phones to try and unscrew what samsung had done to the devices (samsung 2.1-2.3 was a very dark time for samsung).

Upvote 0
Funny you brought up the nexus s4g it was my first real smartphone a few years back and it was your nexus toolkit i used on it. This was during the whole ics debacle where they released it pulled it made people wait months before they said anything about it then finally released it again. Actually to this day one of my favorite phones i ever owned. But back to the point yea the g has a good developer community and not a flagship but it is a google device practically. Any large development community is basically either flagship phones or google devices. But as you said it all comes down to what you really expect from a cheap cost phone. I think out of the 50 plus models samsung released last year alone maybe there updating 10? May be a little more but the ratio is around there. Its basically the flagships and there counter brands (s3 s4 mini s4 actives ect. Ect.) That really only ever see love from the oems.

Upvote 0
there was a fake list of 10 devices, more will get updates. maybe not to kitkat but will get updates. samsung is one of teh better oems for updates, might take em a long time and may not be what you wish but youll get one.

the cdma sgs3 launched with 4.0.4 same as the lg motion, both use teh same chipset. the s3 is on 4.3 now while the motion will forever sit on 4.0.4. one could argue thats the difference between cheap and flagship, but the lg og i owned came with 4.0.4 and got one update to 4.1.2. it was rumored to get 4.2, then 4.3, now 4.4 and in the end no one knows if its going anywhere and its a flagship :/.

sometimes it can be difficult to find a diamond in the rough for dev communities but there are ones out there :). heck its whyi created OUDHS in the first place so we could work on unloved devices.

Upvote 0
My only wait now is my battery getting charged back up uploadfromtaptalk1394066045190.jpg

Upvote 0
I wonder where they are announcing the winners of the s5 contest with one per week being given away supposedly.
I can't find anything about any Winners list. I DID see where they will notify each winner by email within 3 days of each drawing.

I hope everyone keeps going to the Mothership's Faceplant page, saying how long they've been a Metro customer and DEMANDING *they* win a S5.

Thats GOT to help MY chances! :p

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Reactions: alfick3
Upvote 0
I can't find anything about any Winners list. I DID see where they will notify each winner by email within 3 days of each drawing.

I hope everyone keeps going to the Mothership's Faceplant page, saying how long they've been a Metro customer and DEMANDING *they* win a S5.

Thats GOT to help MY chances! :p

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

That is something I know all to well,seeing people play the lotto everything helps their chances

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones