• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS] Setting up F6 with stable KitKat and SD Card Hack with Working Camera

@ghet2rockuu Like I said in my previous post, check the 1st two paragraphs of post #504 of this thread
http://androidforums.com/threads/pr...rnal-sd-storage-solution-on-f6.819792/page-21

If your card doesn't have good random access characteristics, your phone's performance will be lousy because part of the OS is now running from the SD card. If that's not acceptable, then you probably need to either use a different card or try a different SD hack.

As for your missing 12GB, I am not sure what you mean. Are your partitions using the whole card? Is the amount of space you can access less than the advertised amount? Make sure you don't have a counterfeit card first.

Reactions: Dastardly Muffin
Upvote 0
@ghet2rockuu
Good. Next, check the performance of your card. Install A1 SD Bench from the play store. With the SD hack working, do a random I/O test on the "internal memory" (which will actually test the SD card's ext4 partition with the SD hack active). If you want to test the actual internal memory, uninstall or disable the SD hack first. Anyway, the actual internal memory should give about 17 MB/s read and 0.2 MB/s write. So if your SD's numbers are significantly worse than the internal memory's numbers, that would explain the lagginess. Check the post I linked and the links in that post for some numbers with other cards for comparison. If the numbers look fine, then it might be something else.

For the space issue, reboot to TWRP. Bring up the command prompt with Advanced->Terminal command->Select. At the prompt, type:
Code:
parted -s /dev/block/mmcblk1 u gb p
This should show you how your SD card is partitioned and how much each partition is taking. Check the size column. Hopefully that answers your question.

Reactions: Dastardly Muffin
Upvote 0
Alright since the instructions for doing this stuff is all over the place, I want to put it all in one set of directions for new people getting this phone. I have the newest version of the phone so my camera doesn't work with the kitkat roms here. I've been testing tons of different methods with this phone since I got it 4 months ago and this seems to be the best solution for now. Assuming you're starting from stock, unrooted Jellybean on MetroPCS:

If you have an sd card it's easier to put all the files you're going to download on there, so you can format the internal data when you're ready to flash the new rom.

1. Go in to 'settings -> security' and make sure 'unknown sources' is checked.

2. Go in to developer option and enable 'USB debugging'.

3. Go to https://towelroot.com/ download and put the file on your phone.

4. Go here to download TWRP recovery http://androidforums.com/threads/recovery-twrp-lokied-new-apk-version-08-27-14.861281/ (thanks to hroark13) and put this in your internal or sd card.

5. Download CarbonROM http://androidforums.com/threads/ro...4-4-4-for-lg-optimus-f6-lots-of-fixes.880135/ and put this in your internal or sd card.

6. Download Google Apps here http://www.mediafire.com/download/82b7013dqh8z6g7/7-29_GApps_Standard_4.4.4_signed.zip (thanks to viperkink's link on Angablade's post) and put on your internal or sd card.

7. Download hroark's camfix kernel here GET THE CM11 VERSION NOT THE KK VERSION http://androidforums.com/threads/kernerl-cm11-kk-with-ov5693-camera-support.879804/ and put on your internal or sd card storage.

8. Alright. Now with all these files, you're going to want to start off by going in to file manager and going to either internal storage (sdcard0) or sd card storage (sdcard1)/wherever you put all these files. Find the towelroot.apk and install using 'system installer' not google. Once finished open, and press 'make it ra1n'. It'll say it's successful and you can close out of it.

9. Go back to where all these files are and find 'LG-F6-TWRP-V3'. Install using system installer. Open -> click install recovery, once it pops up and says successful press 'ok' and press 'reboot recovery'. The phone will now turn black, start up with the LG logo, flash a couple times and then you'll see the blue twrp picture.

10. This step is only for those with their install files on the sd card. Before you do anything right now go to the top right where it says 'wipe', select 'wipe data' it'll popup with a keyboard. Type 'yes' and hit enter. This'll wipe all the old crap from the stock rom. If you don't have an sd card you can skip this.

11. Once in TWRP you want to go to where you downloaded the ROM and kernel files along with google apps. If you don't have an sd card you want to go to the top left box that says 'install' and find 'data'. then find 'media' and then press '0'. Your files should be in there. If they're on your sd card (the best method) just go to 'install' and find 'sd card'.

12. DO THESE IN THE CORRECT ORDER: 1) install CarbonROM. 2) install gappskk. 3) install camfix kernel.

13. Go back to the main TWRP menu and go to the top right where it says 'wipe'. Swip the slider and it'll wipe by default the dalvik cache which is what you want.

14. Now go in to the 'reboot' tab on the main TWRP menu and press 'system'. Your phone should start up with the carbon logo.

15. If you for some reason get an infinite boot, use this method to bring your phone fully back to stock unrooted. It's worked for me every time. http://androidforums.com/threads/br...is-might-work-for-you-too.833575/#post6471224

16. Once in Carbon ROM, go to settings -> Carbon Fibers -> interface -> CRT Animation, and select 'none'. Go back to settings, make sure you have performance options. If you don't, go to about phone and tap the 'software version' (one of those, I can't remember) until you get admin rights. Go back to settings -> performance -> turn the 'minimum cpu frequency' up a notch. Set 'apply on boot'.

17. To enable metroPCS data go in to settings -> mobile networks -> access point names -> press the 'MetroPCS LTE' dot.

-------------------------Call Echo Fix----------------------------------

17. If you're getting call echo, which you most likely are, you're going to want to search 'build.prop editor' in play store. Install the first app that shows up, open it, give it SU permissions, and search for 'mic'. Once you find the line 'mic' that says 'digital'. Press on the 'digital' and change it to 'analog'. This will fix your call echo.

-----------------------------------SD CARD HACK--------------------------------

You're going to want a class 10 or higher sd card for this hack, otherwise you will experience lag.

ALSO: The same SD Card Hack files will work with jellybean. Just follow the same directions below.

16. If your phone starts up then congratulations. Set up your phone and your google account and wait a bit for things to settle in. Now we're going to do the sd card hack. Once finished, go here http://androidforums.com/threads/sd-card-hack-to-increase-internal-memory.882907/ to ksjk01414's post and go to the third post down, by 'fbr' with the two files named 'dataonSD-copy' and 'dataonSD-install'. Download these and PUT THEM IN YOUR INTERNAL MEMORY. NOT YOUR SD CARD.

17. Carbon rom has a built in recovery reboot feature. Just hold down the power button, press restart and press 'recovery'. You should boot in to recovery.

18. FIRST. Go to 'settings' -> 'screen' and uncheck 'Enable screen timeout'. If you don't do this, recovery will crash in the process of formatting your sd card.

19. Next, go to 'advanced' -> 'partition SD Card'. FIRST: Press 'EXT4'. You're going to want to set the 'Swap Size' to '128'. Then, depending on the size of your sd card, increase the 'EXT Size' to your desired amount. This will add to your internal memory. Personally I like to add as much as possible to the internal memory as I can. For example: I have a 32 GB sd card. I get a calculator either in hand or in windows and multiply '1024' 32 times. This will be close to the maximum you can allocate to the sd card. The only method in this TWRP is to keep pressing '+' until you reach your desired size in MB. Once you're at the specific size in MB of your sd card, swipe to partition. If it says it's too big of a partition keep pressing subtract on the 'EXT Size' and repeat until you find the maximum size you can set it to.

20. Swipe to partition if you haven't already. This will take a while. It usually takes my phone about 10 minutes to partition the sd card.

21. Once done partitioning, you should be able to go back to 'Mount' in the main menu and check 'SD-Ext'. If you can't, which is common for me, you're going to need to do some additional steps below.

22. After you check 'SD-Ext' go to the main menu -> settings -> check 'Use rm -rf instead of formatting'.

23. Go back to the main menu -> wipe -> advanced wipe -> check 'SD-Ext' and swipe to wipe. This will be pretty fast.

24. Go back to the main menu, go to 'install' and find the 'DataOnSD-copy.zip' and 'DataOnSD-install.zip' you downloaded. Flash 'DataOnSD-copy.zip' first, then 'DataOnSD-Install.zip'. The install might take longer than the copy. Once done, you should be good. To double check go back to mount and make sure SD-Ext is checked before you reboot.

25. Reboot system and let in start up to CarbonROM. Give it a minute, then go to settings -> Storage, and you should see your new internal storage size. WOO!!!

----------------------------------SD-EXT WON'T MOUNT AFTER PARTITIONING SD CARD---------------------------

1. Make sure 'Format using rm -rf formatting' is unchecked, Go to 'Wipe' in the main menu of TWRP, then 'Advanced Wipe' and check 'SD-ext', then swipe to wipe. This will take a while. Once done, go back to 'mount' and try to check sd-ext.

2. If the sd-ext still won't check, go back to 'Advanced' partition sd-card. Once finished, you most likely will be able to finally check the 'sd-ext' under 'mount'. If you can't, which happened to me once, usually you just repeat until you can. I've done this 5 times and it never took me more than 3 sd partitions.

-------------------------------SD Card hack disappears (internal memory resets) after kernel crash---------------------

1. Don't panick. Go to the app store and download 'Terminal Emulator'. Open it up, type 'su' (no quotes) hit enter. Once you've given it permissions, type: 'e2fsck -y /dev/block/mmcblk1p2' (no quotes) and hit enter. Restart your phone and you should be good.

2. A couple times I noticed after I turned on my phone from shutting it down overnight, I'd turn it on to find everything is "read only". And things are acting weird. This happens when somehow the "Sd-ext" got unmounted. Just go back in to recovery and mount sd-ext again. Then restart. It should all be good from there.

Fun fact: Cyanogenmod 11 themes work with this rom. I've installed 8 of them and found a great combination. Sometimes the theme chooser will crash, but you can just go back in again.

---------------------------------------Front Camera Blue Fix----------------------------------
To fix the front camera making you look blue, go to the app store and get 'Camera MX'. In the color options select 'Blue' and it'll turn the camera back to normal for your selfies.

-----------------------------Fix Google Camera Crashing when recording video--------------------
The same program used to fix the front camera being blue, CameraMX, also works with taking videos. Google camera seems to be the only things that crashes while taking videos with the camfix kernel.

------------------------------Setting up hardware notification light------------------------
1. Install xposed framework, reboot
2. go to downloads in xposed, search 'gravitybox'. Get the KK version.
3. Go in to settings -> display tweaks -> scroll down to 'button backlight notifications' and enable it. Restart and the home button should light up when you have a notification.
4. Installing gravity box for some reason enabled software navigation buttons for me. Just go in 'navigation bar tweaks' tick the master switch to on, check 'enable navigation bar' scroll down 'dimensions' and slide the first 'navigation bar height' slider all the way to 0%. Restart your phone and there should no longer be software navbuttons.

These are some images of my setup. I have a custom font and boot animation currently installed.
ERmXdss.png
QFDISee.png
JolP7Vr.png
cDZ0zLi.png
SnCWuiW.png
cDyHBPj.png
Do these fixes apply to DM's Mystery ROM?

Upvote 0
My

kernel's fine, its nearly perfect, its just the echo
That's good! Now that I think of it, most of these fixes probably do work with all the kernels. This is just speculation because in no way did I develop them myself, but I think since all the kitkat kernels are based off of the European version of this phone, they all suffer from the same bugs due to no discovered workarounds (yet). I bet you could get rid of that call echo by changing the mic to analog in the build.prop. Let me know if you can fix it!

Upvote 0
Reactions: Masterchief87
Upvote 0
If you need any pointers, I did this with a class 10 32 GB SanDisk sd card off of Amazon. It was $16 when I bought it a few months ago. It works great so far, no lag or anything and I have all my music and a ton of games and xposed modules all installed on it!
Thank you for response! I seen that there's not much information about this, for example in videos, if I can apply correctly this hack I will post a video or something that can help a little more.

Upvote 0
Thank you for response! I seen that there's not much information about this, for example in videos, if I can apply correctly this hack I will post a video or something that can help a little more.
Yeah no problem! ;) and I figured out that when you're formatting the sdcard using twrp, you have to format it the regular way first, then go and wipe the sd-ext manually without -rm/rf formatting checked, and then format it the regular way and it'll mount. Works the same every time. Hope that makes sense I'm not too good at writing directions haha

Edit: This does work on the latest Xperion ROM. But you don't need the 3rd file that installs the script. That's only for the permissions issue with KitKat's changes for sdcards.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Are you sure you saved the changes? I followed this guide and got it working fine using the same build.prop editor. The only thing that still echoes a little bit is when I put the phone on speaker.
The new version of Dm47021's CarbonRom is a lot more stable. I've been running it for a few days now with no random reboots or black screens and I haven't had to tweak anything. Also, the only time anyone has complained about an echo is when I use the speaker phone.

Upvote 0
I need help. Im on kitkat minivoa and i tried this sd card hack in recovery and when i try to mount the ext-sd it doesn't let me and if i flash other roms will my storage stay the same or go back to normal?
In this guide I put down details on how to get it to mount the sd-ext. Also you will have to re-do the hack (and wipe the SD) every time you install a new ROM. Make sure you've followed them completely:

----------------------------------SD-EXT WON'T MOUNT AFTER PARTITIONING SD CARD---------------------------

1. Make sure 'Format using rm -rf formatting' is unchecked, Go to 'Wipe' in the main menu of TWRP, then 'Advanced Wipe' and check 'SD-ext', then swipe to wipe. This will take a while. Once done, go back to 'mount' and try to check sd-ext.

2. If the sd-ext still won't check, go back to 'Advanced' partition sd-card. Once finished, you most likely will be able to finally check the 'sd-ext' under 'mount'. If you can't, which happened to me once, usually you just repeat until you can. I've done this 5 times and it never took me more than 3 sd partitions.

Reactions: Krlypumaa
Upvote 0
Yeah didn't see that lol does this increase the RAM or just the internal storage too?
You can't increase RAM without adding more physical modules (which you would have to take apart the phone to do). Anything software-related that tells you it'll increase your RAM is a hoax. This will increase your internal storage by moving the Data folder entirely to your SD Card, so everything thinks you have a larger internal memory.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOR ANYONE TRYING TO USE THIS GUIDE CURRENTLY

This guide is outdated. The OP has been inactive since major changes to this phone's development has happened. For anyone looking for an updated guide to achieve better results, use my guide. All the links are tested and work. It also provides an older version of Carbon ROM that this guide was made for, but is no longer available here in the link provided.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones