• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mini Kies Update doesn't softbrick if you deleted bloatware

RichieHD

Jun 8, 2010
New York City
I got ballsy and since T-Mo is sending me a new phone since this one is Hardware locked and I can't get into ODIN, I opened up mini Kies and got the new firmware. All it did was re-install all the bloat I deleted before and got rid of root.

I don't know if this is universal or I got lucky, but it worked. It hung on the Galaxy S screen for about a minute, but after that it's awesome.

I see 12 Sats indoors and I connect to 7. Outside I see 13 and I connect to 11.

Vibrant is the best phone I've ever owned after this GPS update.

I got ballsy and since T-Mo is sending me a new phone since this one is Hardware locked and I can't get into ODIN, I opened up mini Kies and got the new firmware. All it did was re-install all the bloat I deleted before and got rid of root.

I don't know if this is universal or I got lucky, but it worked. It hung on the Galaxy S screen for about a minute, but after that it's awesome.

Do you know if it fixed the HW lock? I heard some people say the update did and other say it didn't.

Upvote 0
For me, no. I am still HW locked. :(

Bummer. There is a fix if you are adventurous.

Otherwise take it to Tmo and see if you can get it replaced if you plan on doing too much with it. An update, even if OTA, can cause issues and then you need to get a phone anyway, without one to use while the new one is on it's way. At least now if you can get it swapped, and hopefully get one that's not HW locked, you are safe in the future.

Upvote 0

I got the galaxy S screen for a couple minutes and was like, "Oh shit I'm screwed" but it kicked in and all is perfect. Phone working smooth as ever. Love the new built in task manager as well. Only issue I have is that the icons for the bloatware are back, but the bloatware isnt installed seeing as I previously deleted it. No idea how to rid jsut the icons

Upvote 0

Agreed!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones