• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Missing Droid X Real-World Give-Away" Contest (1st Post:Updated)

pantsman sorry bout the traffic jam stinks keep away from the accidents wanna see everyone safe also know back ways have a team help u out thats the way to go set up a HQ n gps n all that jaz taxi get away bikes trains know your area scout it out ahead of time hope ya guys get a 20$ gift card they r on the beach you can play with the cell to before the public gets it 2mrow so ya can join the few of us hunters even if we did not get it we got to use it b4 the public and congrats to all that won stuff luckies lol

Upvote 0
Was the first onsite for #7.

Wife and I were at pike's area hanging out then heading to west seattle when the first clue went out. I knew from the other phones it would be in a park so I guessed between Schmitz and Lincoln. I guessed Schmitz at first, but it didn't feel right, so as soon as the GPS hit we headed to Lincoln.

Verizon reps said I had a 4-5 min lead on everyone else and I was so close they were afraid I was going to find it with no one else there. lol. You'll probably see me wandering around in the beginning of the youtube when they release it (blue shirt).

More and more people kept showing up and it was very well hidden that I started doubting it was by the shoreline. I moved away from the shore and it was found a few minutes later.

All in all was lots of fun. Grats to the finder(s)! Wife and I got a gift card each. Droid X is amazing, light, thin, fast. I'll be getting one tomorrow. Lakewood store supposedly opening at 6am.

P.S. (I took a pic with the droid x and emailed it to myself). Pretty good quality.

P.P.S. I did some separate research regarding the touch sensor / multitouch because I wanted to make sure it didn't have the same issues as the N1, other phones. Bottom line: Perfect multitouch: Video: YouTube - DroidXMultitouchTest

Upvote 0
honestly this was easily the worst run contest ever. The contest made people CRAZY once the clues came out, people were spent alot of time and ($$$) looking for this. I mean I won't complain about them giving out free phones, BUT it seemed like it was almost like a raffle, which of course "we" never win. We got all excited because we thought we could beat out the Average Joe's by deciphering the clues. The first 10 days of the contest was completley pointless, we all wasted so much time and we couldn't even find the phone. This contest was going to be different, something that had skill not luck. Unfortunatley NO matter what anyone says it was pretty much luck. For example, I live in NYC, obviously the previous clues had no bearing on where it was just the city. It's PURE luck that you happen to be on TWITTER at the exact time, and be exactly NEAR the place at the exact time. I happened to catch the City clue within a minute of posting, got to my car, and started driving. Next thing I know, I get that the phone was found. 5 minutes within posting. It's LUCK, pure LUCK. I'm sorry for this rant but I actually got my hopes up that this contest would be based on skill not luck, but of course it wasn't oh well.

Upvote 0
They hid it in a hole in a log....The exact same hole that i stood RIGHT ON TOP OF talking to some undercover verizon guy....She just happens to find it.....I should've looked down....but yea this one tool the longest to find. I left from pike place the the park, and it took me 20 mins to get there, and when i got there there was about 15 ppl, and no one had found it yet. 10 mins after i got there the girl found it....anyways...

And to GSkellig, congrats man...thank your girl, lol.

P.S. I was the guy in the red hat and sunglasses :D

Upvote 0
:mad::p;):DDude fellow hunter great deal at wirefly Bing $50 and other discounts Droid X for $179 free shipping. Just use bing search wirefly clickcash back set up and look for other coupon code like free 2gb sd card. Code WIREFLY2GMC Maybe later in the day they might have different ones I order when they went on sale So maybe friday have it in hand
If you think about it after you get your $50 from bing it makes the phone cost only $129 Just realized sweet deal

Upvote 0
:mad::p;):DDude fellow hunter great deal at wirefly Bing $50 and other discounts Droid X for $179 free shipping. Just use bing search wirefly clickcash back set up and look for other coupon code like free 2gb sd card. Code WIREFLY2GMC Maybe later in the day they might have different ones I order when they went on sale So maybe friday have it in hand
If you think about it after you get your $50 from bing it makes the phone cost only $129 Just realized sweet deal

I'm a little new to android, and was looking at wirefly, and do correct me if im wrong but i read that they'll charge you like 300 dollars? I thought i saw something like that in the terms of purchase...here, illl copy paste it:

"By accepting this Instant Savings Discount, you agree to repay $200 of this discount ($300 for smartphones and netbooks) and authorize us to charge your credit card in repayment of this amount if, during the 181 days after your new equipment is activated, your wireless carrier notifies us that the services you purchased have been suspended, disconnected, or deactivated, or if you return your purchase outside of the return and exchange provisions of our 30-day Satisfaction Guarantee"

Anyone wanna explain?

Upvote 0
...searched in Denver. I was walking around Downtown for an hour or so before the clue came out. I should have been in my car ready to go when the clue came out and I would have been at the phone first. Instead I had to walk a couple of blocks to the car once the 1st clue came out and figured it was Wash park. I got there with traffic in time to get a gift card and had fun searching. I think this was a good, fun contest.

Reactions: rbh5081
Upvote 0
I'm a little new to android, and was looking at wirefly, and do correct me if im wrong but i read that they'll charge you like 300 dollars? I thought i saw something like that in the terms of purchase...here, illl copy paste it:

"By accepting this Instant Savings Discount, you agree to repay $200 of this discount ($300 for smartphones and netbooks) and authorize us to charge your credit card in repayment of this amount if, during the 181 days after your new equipment is activated, your wireless carrier notifies us that the services you purchased have been suspended, disconnected, or deactivated, or if you return your purchase outside of the return and exchange provisions of our 30-day Satisfaction Guarantee"

Anyone wanna explain?

Yep it means that if you buy the phone from wirefly and then disconnect the service (i.e. cancel your Verizon wireless account) within 181 days of activating the phone, you will have to pay wirefly $200. Its just like the early termination fee that any cell provider will jam you with if you try and get out of your 2 year contract.
The difference here is that since wirefly is giving you the phone for an enormous discount and doing all the leg work with Verizon they have to cover their behinds somehow for all those people that would buy the phone at a discount and then turn around and cancel their Verizon plan and put it on eBay to get top dollar.

I hope that makes sense! :)

Reactions: SyrusGuyrus
Upvote 0
Ohhh...So they only charge you the 300 dollars if you deactivate the phone against wireflys terms?

Exactly! So most of us on here will buy the phone and activate/use it as required so no worries. One other thing, I am not sure if you will get hit twice (Verizon's disconnect fee + Wirefly's fee) if you try and get out of your 2 year contract. Can someone on here verify this?

Bottom line just buy it and use it as agreed.

Reactions: SyrusGuyrus
Upvote 0
PS: F that stupid 17yr old kid for ruining the contest there. If he would have kept his jerk hands to himself, someone else would have found it and won fair & square. It's bad enough Verizon ran this contest poorly. I'd be really pissed if a 17yr old jerk ruined it in Orlando. Way to think you're too good to follow the rules...jerk.

Please speak of what you know! F shows your IQ. Stupid? He and his dad were there first, found it and claimed it. Smarter that 50 others! Jerk. Hmm. As I watched they never once complained or became "jerks" The even congratulated the winner and thanked Verizon. At 17 I can say he has more class than you

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones